I hope everyone has had a fantastic weekend.
We celebrated two of the Little Women's birthdays, so Mama is tired!

We celebrated two of the Little Women's birthdays, so Mama is tired!
I'm finally getting around to posting this picture frame makeover/tutorial.
If you like rustic finishes, this is for you. If you like clean lines, you will wonder what in the world I was thinking.
I took a basic picture that I bought on clearance.
While I liked the picture, the frame did nothing for me.
First, I taped the inside edges of the picture to protect it.
Then, I diluted some Hide Glue with a little water, and brushed it on.
Then, I diluted some Hide Glue with a little water, and brushed it on.
I let it dry completely to the touch (1.5-2 hours).
This stuff stinks. Those who've read my blog at least a little while know that I made all kinds of faces.
Then, I used a product called Casein to create the rough, crackled finish.
Brush on vertically, then horizontally, and don't go back over anything. Just apply it and move on.
It will look like this (very rough) after the cracks form.
Let it dry completely for at least a day, then sand it smooth.
Let it dry completely for at least a day, then sand it smooth.
Oopsie Daisy.
I forgot to rough up my frame with sandpaper before the Hide glue,
which meant the glue had nothing to grip to, so large chunks of dried casein came off.
I forgot to rough up my frame with sandpaper before the Hide glue,
which meant the glue had nothing to grip to, so large chunks of dried casein came off.
I applied some Valspar Weathered crackle, followed with a coat of white paint I had on hand.
Here it is after the crackling was finished and dry.
If you cannot find Casein, weathered crackle or Hide glue with paint alone would basically achieve
the same result as with the Casein, only it will be a lot smoother.
If you cannot find Casein, weathered crackle or Hide glue with paint alone would basically achieve
the same result as with the Casein, only it will be a lot smoother.
To glaze it, I mixed some Raw Umber Universal tint into clear glazing medium.
I rubbed on multiple layers until I achieved the depth I was going for.
I am calling it good.
Although I'm not normally a crackle-loving girl, I like things to look authentically aged, so I prefer it to the smooth black frame.
Linking to:
Until next time, my friends,

















22 comments:
nice job, christa. i'm usually NOT a fan of faux crackle finish but since yours is kind of chunky, it actually looks like real aging, as opposed to faux aging. I'm going to try this!
tara
I'm not a fan of the crackle finish either but I like this too !! Great job !
Love it! It looks very authentic. Where do you find casein?
I love rustic and worn too! Much more interesting!
This is one of the best distressed finishes I've ever come across. Amazing! I'll be on the search for those products too!
You've changed my mind about normal schnormal frames, that is for certain!
Donna
it looks fabulous, and can i just say i am so glad you sometimes have oops moments, too! glad you wre able to salvage and make it great!
Hi I love this-- rustic + lovely. I'm your newest follower. Would love for you to check my blog out too (-:
Malia
www.yesterdayontuesday.com
This looks great and I think the oops moment really added to the authentic look. Nice save and great tutorial.
I love how the frame turned out. I think rustic is awesome!
I really love this! You do the best tutorials! I always love to see what is happening over here!
Christa this is fantastic! I love it! I have a bunch of old frames in the garage...think I might need to try this technique! Thanks!
Thanks for the lesson! I've always wanted to know how to do this.
Teri
The worn, crackled look is great! And with that pic...perfect!!
Hugs
SueAnn
I love your frame, looks fantastic, bravo:))
Hugs, Biljana
I just found your blog today and i'm very anxious to have a look around. I hope to be able to link up to your project party next week. I love the way you did this frame. The finish reminds me of my mamaws house when we were growing up,, which had a lot of this natural aged, weathered look. So its comforting to me!
I love what you did to the frame and smiled to find I am not alone when forgetting steps in the creative process. I am working on aging a chandy. I have never heard of Hide GLue or Casein. Do you find them at the paint or craft store?
wow! It looks amazing! I agre with another poster, it doesn't have the 'fakey' look some of the crackle finishes do!!
Wow! Looks great!
I'm stuck in San Francisco airport trying to get home to Dallas. When I do, I'm going to steal this idea of yours! Love it, love your blog.
How awesome! What is hide glue?
I love this idea and went to the hardware store to get some hide wood glue and couldn't find any. Any idea where else to look or maybe a substitute? Thanks!
that is so amazing. love it!
Post a Comment