Sunday, January 30, 2011

Free Table and Some New Digs

Back in December my friend Heidi and I went to a Christmas Party, and when she arrived she told me she saw this across the street from her house. Of course we found a way to sneak out and snag it.
Our hubbies refer to us as Thelma and Louise because adventures always seem to find us.
Or perhaps we find them.

Kevin was very impressed with this contraption for some reason. I didn't get it.

Obviously the top had to be refinished. I thought it was Tiger Oak but one of my readers told me this is Quarter Sawn Oak (thanks Susan!).
I used Dark Walnut then applied several coats of Tung Oil.
It'll be very durable.

I think it is so pretty.

It came with casters in case the new owner wants them. I think it'd be great cut down to a coffee table.
Details for those in the greater Phx area can be found at The Restoration Shoppe.

 And I'm super excited about what I've been working on this weekend - a new workspace. The cabinet holds all my products, and there will soon be a spray booth in the 3rd car garage. I cannot wait!


And so I've been very motivated to reorganize the garage, and Kevin's love tank runneth over...

Here is everything that was taking up precious space (minus the plastic bins). Unfortunately there was a lot of paint products that went bad.

Edited to add : Hubby and I always dispose responsibly. Everything that can be recycled will be, and of course all the dried up paint products are going to the hazardous waste place. 

Linking to:

29 comments:

Traci said...

Apparently Diet Coke is a painting supply. I know Dr.Pepper is. I told my hubby I could not paint today until I one.

Your free table is beautiful.

Traci

Sanctuary Home said...

Your table came out beautiful!!! I love it! The top looks like quarter sawn oak, which is more valuable and rare. It's funny how some people can't see the value in things. It really is true that "one person's junk is another person's treasure". I'm with you, I am always wanting to rescue things that I see people discarding. I'm able to see David when others see a big block of marble. Some may say that it's a disorder, but I say it's a gift. And...we are gifted ladies...aren't we?
Susan : )

Pine Tree Home said...

Simply a beautiful table. I have a similar one in my kitchen and I stripped it many years ago. And it sat, and sat with a table cloth covering it up most days. I think I am going to copy you and tackle it this spring.

Allison@FabRehab said...

Goodness I am jealous! Of your skills AND that it was free! Soooo gorgeous!

Amy@ Just Pleased as Punch said...

Oh wow, that turned out gorgeous! I love the contrast of the top against the white base!

Chrissie said...

I love that table! You did a great job as usual!

Pam @ Our Adventures in Home Improvement said...

You did a great job giving the table a new life! I love the white base contrasting with the dark top. Nice work!

jandjhome said...

This turned out beautiful. Great job and great find!

Tammy @ Type A said...

i love it, reminds me of my free table!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Wow! That is a great find, and the grain in the oak is beautiful. You did a super job bringing that out. I like the color of the stain. My best friend from high school refinished some things for her first college apartment, and she put something like fifteen coats of tung oil on a table. LOL! I laugh, but you could put anything on it without marring it. I need to do the same thing to our kitchen table. Enjoyed seeing this. :-)

Shannon said...

Very nice free find! Enjoy your 'new digs' too!
Shannon
{aka}|design

decorating diva {aka deanna} said...

love this table, when the weather warms up, i'm going to jump on the stained table top band wagon! i love it! what a great find! the table is much more unique than just an 80's repro of the round oak table!

Christine said...

Oh my Gosh, what a great find! The table is absolutely beautiful!! I have such a strong desire to follow in your footsteps and make something over...I just have to make the time and find my piece! I love it, love it!!

Jen said...

Your free table is great! Love it you did a wonderful job!

Jen said...

It really would be great cut down as a coffee table! Sorry forgot to add that!

Holly Do. said...

Love the table, I'm trying to find a table to refinish and want to stain the top. I love the look.
But...what I'm eyeing is that amazing dresser in the background of your trash pile. Can't wait to see what you do with that!!

A Cottage Muse said...

That table looks wonderful...great job!

Megan Lee said...

I LOVE the table! The stain color was a great choice.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

What a great find and a beautiful transformation!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What a gorgeous table, and FREE? You did a superlative job renovating it.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

That table is so beautiful! The white paint really brings out the shape of the legs, which I LOVE!

The top looks like our piano. That I want to dismantle and make shelves out of. :)

Eden said...

I really like what you have done to the table. It is pretty, indeed. Love the white paint.

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

You made the table look awesome, Christa! What a find! I just bought some of the Tung oil this morning! :)

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Christa, the table is stunning!! LOVE it! And Free???? Seriously!


I am so jealous you are getting a paint booth!!

Lou Cinda

stephaniegiese said...

That is gorgeous! We just inherited a hand-me-down oak table. It's a great table, but the honey color is awful. I have been debating whether to stain it darker or paint it white. Now I know I can do both! I will SO be copying this finish. It's beautiful!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

how did i miss this the other day? it is GORGEOUS!!! and free??? wow! you really made it shine again.

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

That is fabulous. I have been having fun painting furniture too these days. It is so therapeutic!

Mr. Goodwill Hunting said...

I like anything that is free. So excited to have found your blog.


Mr. Goodwill Hunting

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

What a pretty table! I bet if the people that threw it out saw it now they would want it back.
hugs,
Sherry

Post a Comment