(If you're looking for this weeks' Project Diaries, it is here.)
When I saw this chest of drawers on CL I couldn't get in my car fast enough.
I knew I could do something really fun with it!
The nice gentleman with the European accent I bought it from told me its' history:
it belonged to his Grandparents, who brought it over from Europe 95+ years ago.
The varnish was peeling away, so I had to decide whether or not to refinish it, or paint it.
I thought about refinishing it, but if you've been with me a while, you know I no longer strip
(It wasn't a fit for me.)
I sanded the wrinkling varnish for a couple of hours, and decided to paint.
Here is the before, which doesn't show the awful varnish chipping away:
And now:
I always like to keep something inherent to the original piece, especially the tops.
This was refinished in Dark Walnut.
Paint colors:
Ben Moore Bone
Ben Moore Just Peachy
Liquid silver leafing medium applied with a tiny brush
Valspar Asphaltum antiquing medium, mixed with more translucent glaze
Topcoat: Zinsser water-based poly in semi gloss
I wanted it to look like it was painted 100 years ago, and has aged over time.
This is the truest picture of the color scheme:
I think it is perfect for a little Princess or any fanciful girls' bedroom don't you?
This was by far the funnest piece I've worked on.
xoxo,
Christa
Linking to:



















58 comments:
I wanted to say "Oh no don't paint it." And then I saw your finished project. This is simply, divine, scrumptious, fabulous and I am smitten by your princess dresser. Please give more details on the transformation.
Traci
I think I might have gone: "Hhhh" when I saw this - beautiful work!
Absolutely gorgeous! Isn't pink supposed to be the new turquoise. I love it, the details are amazing. What a great piece to work with.
Love it Christa!! Just the perfect treatment, I must say! I just heard today that Mixwax has come out with a water-based/oil hybrid top coat that (supposedly) has the durability of an oil-based poly with a water clean up. I'm excited to give it a try. Varathane does get pricey.
i think this might be my favorite of all your pieces so far! it is just stunning!!!
Incredibly beautiful. So delicate and the detailing you did is absolutely perfect! Fit for a princess for sure!
I think I agree with Cassie - it may be my favorite piece you have done. It is so fun and unique and wonderful. I would love to see where this one ends up.
I agree with the others, this is by far my favorite piece you have done thus far! I love it! It's absolutely gorgeous! I love the colors you chose.
okay listen. I always love your work . But, this piece..........IS ABSOLUTELY TO DIE FOR! I l-o-v-e it. I literally ooooed outloud and called my husband (like he actually cares) in to admire it too!
My reaction was also "NO, don't paint it!". But I have surely changed my mind. I'm pretty sure this is the prettiest transformation I've ever seen. GORGEOUS! Not just for a princess...this would look great in a main living area. It's amazing!
Ooo la la, love it! What a fantastic find. I would have been racing over there too. What you did with it stunning!
Oh my gosh! How fresh and fun is this dresser?! It's lovely, Christa!!
Oh Christa this is just so beautiful! I loved the piece to start with. The size and details were gorgeous. You just did a terrific job with the paint and glaze. You can get big bucks for this one. I certainly can see it in a princess room. And yes, it's pink!
Absolutely gorgeous! It's a beautiful piece of furniture and you chose such unexpected, but perfect colors. And the glazing is perfect too!
OH MY!! This made my heart pitter-patter!! Great job!!
Christa,
I cannot imagine a more beautiful piece. You turned this absolutely gorgeous piece of furniture into masterpiece.
This is gorgeous, Christa! It is my favorite piece that you have done. If I lived closer I would buy this in a heartbeat. It is fit for a little princess but I would love it in my bedroom, too! I love the colors you used and all of the detail. It is stunning! A true piece of art!
You knocked this one out of the park! The finish on this piece is beautiful. The paint colors you chose are perfect and I love the metallic detailing and your treatment of the hardware. It is stunning!
wow this is beautiful!!
I think you so totally caught the spirit of its inate elegance that even the original owner would love it.
Fabulous job.
Kathy
Having seen your dresser in person, I can say the pictures don't do your piece justice. This is one of your most stunning "redo's" and almost makes me wish for another baby girl, it's so divine. The soft pink isn't too "pink" but just a hint and I adore the silver with it. Truly a treasure piece. Good job, Christa!
Mom
What?!? No stripping? Christa! Who in the world made you swear to never do it again? I can't believe...oh, wait...that was me! ;)
I absolutely ADORE this! Hubby and I are talking about having another baby soon, and if I knew it was a girl I would buy this in a heartbeat! LOVE IT!
Jennifer
This is fabulous!!! And the colors you chose for this piece are perfect! Love it
Hugs
SueAnn
This is absolutely stunning! You have true talent and vision to see what the old could turn into...simply gorgeous colors and finishing. So wish you were here to help me! :)
I think I'm your newest follower ~ very happy to have found your blog. I will be looking through to see other creations.
Pat
ahhh - i LOVE IT!!! It totally makes me want to paint something pink. And i love how the silver leaf picks up on the little details on the drawers - so cute. This piece is definately going to make someone very happy :)
You Go Girl!!! What a great piece, I love the detail and LOVE the pink!!!!! :)
Oh, Christa... that is Fabulous with a capital "F"! I love this piece and the colors you chose are so pretty! You did good, girl! xx
Wow, Christa,
How adorable! You did an amazing job on this! I love the pink and white with the dark top!
Kim
I think this is absolutly gorgeous!!! I love it so much I think I might have to find your house and steal this! =P
Hi Christa, This is a fabulous piece and I love the way you painted it. I have a little princess granddaughter that would love this in her room.
xo,
Sherry
Beautiful!! I love it!
That is amazing. What a great eye!! Just beautiful!
Wow! This is spectacular! I love all the different details you put in to every part of it!
I love this piece. You finished it perfectly. I think this is how that dresser always wanted to be. :) Wonderful work!
The detail work is scrumptious! Gorgeous job!
Your work is exquisite! I liked its original state and was thinking "why change it." But, when I saw what you did, I took lots of notes!
I just found your blog again. I think I was by way back when. This piece is fantastic. I love the colors you used and the treatments you did. I would love for you to share your wonderful work at my boring to better (makeover) party on Wednesdays with the link up on Tuesday evenings.
Wow. wow. & wow. Beautiful.
I love it! seriously i have been all over these DIY sites and by far this piece is the most beautiful makeover! your amazing! I had already seen it on CL i live in az as well and had already fallen in love with it! and it was weird to stumble upon it somewhere else!
So I saw your post a few weeks ago on CL, but just now found your blog through Madison Reece's FB page. Crazy! I'm in AZ. The dresser is gorgeous, but not in my budget. Good luck selling it!
Amazing! I have been a little intimidated by glaze but I think I am going to have to give it a try soon for sure. Great job!
This dresser amazing. So so Beautiful. You did an amazing job!!
This is absolutely the finest piece of painted furniture I have ever seen. Saw this on Mustard Seed and had to come look. Fabulous job. You inspire me!
I saw you featured on Miss Mustard's blog. I have never seen anything so beautiful and unique. Lots of people paint furniture...but not quite like you. Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!
I was smitten when I saw this on Miss Mustard Seed. Then when I saw the before I flipped--it was so beautiful. BUT you really gave it a whole new look that is stunning; I love it!
Saw you on Miss Mustard Seed and I'm swooning!
This dresser is soooo beautiful!
I can't wait to read about your glazing method. This is a beautiful transformation. I could see it in some celebrity kids room. I hope you don't mind a couple of questions (I'm new) What is liquid silver leafing medium and can you please tell me more about the carpet tape - like where do you get it and exactly how you use it? Thank you Christa!
This is such a beautiful piece! I absolutely love the pale, pale pinkness of it! I am right there with you - I look at a piece and I can't wait to get my paintbrush on it! Fantastic!
Oh you are Good!!! This is so very fabulous! Did you brush it by hand or spray it?
Londen
THIS... will go down in blog history. And history in general. Stunning.
You really had the eye on this one Christa! Every detail is PERFECTION! I saw your post for Joe's Farm Grill and would of loved to have made it so we could meet you but had other commitments :( Maybe next time. Good luck with the ebook!!!
It's stunning! Thanks for linking up at WWC!
absolutely gorgeous! what a fab craigs list find! you did exactly the right thing to it! love!
Just beautiful! This has to be the prettiest dresser that I have seen, you did an amazing job!
Now that is gorgeous!
This is BEAUTIFUL. Is it for sale? Is it a pink stain that you used? Gorgeous!!!!
Hi, I hope you don't mind I did a link to this post on my blog. Many thanks, http://mumofalltrades.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment