Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Cedar Chest and a Fresh Start

As the commissioned table and chair set I've been working on for a few weeks draws to a close,
I wanted to share this piece that has offered me some reprieve from stripping and sanding.

 I transformed this cedar chest for a friend who happens to be the mother of one of my girls' BFF's.
It was a gift from someone....
...we'll just say that the heart needed to go.

She was going to get rid of it, but a mutual friend convinced her to let me have a crack at it.
 
You will be seeing said mutual friends' kitchen cabinet project in the near future, as soon as I can convince her that we can do so much better than the 1990's pickle finish.
 You hearing me, Lizzie?

I veered from my usual rub-through method with denatured alcohol and removed some paint with a damp cloth while the paint was still wet.
It is easy to remove from edges, as long as you have a steady hand.


I used Valspar semigloss in the blackest black, and Zinsser Ultimate Polyurethane, semigloss.

Elena is thrilled with her first furniture makeover.
I'll be transforming some other pieces for her as she embraces her new house and new life.
She has a large armoire that she wants to be turquoise. I can't wait!
I must add that I'm a glutton for punishment because she is a strict pilates instructor
and will be returning the favor with sore muscles.
Go easy on me, girlfriend.

Linking to:
Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

16 comments:

Holly @ Roller Coaster Life said...

looks fantastic!! much much much better than the country heart! =)

Chrissie said...

Sooo much better after!

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

This looks so classically beautiful!

SueAnn said...

It is so beautiful!! Love it!! So elegant!
Hugs
SueAnn

Pam @ Frippery said...

Wonderful work. I have a cedar chest of my mom's that I need to paint, thanks for the inspiration.

The Frosted Gardner said...

I bet she cannot wait to get this home. It turned out beautifully! I bet she is so glad she didnt get rid of it. I cannot wait to see the armoire. Another beauty Christa!

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

SO much better... well done, Christa! I, too, can't wait to see the armoire.

Lori

P.S. Lizzie, if you are reading this... GO FOR IT!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

beautiful transformation!

Traci said...

It constantly amazes me how a few coats of paint can change the whole look of a peice. Beautiful job. Thanks for including your paints choices.
Traci

Jill said...

Looks great, and as a fitness instructor myself, remember, it's a good sore! lol

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

come on now, you didn't like the big heart on it? ;) it looks SO much better in classic black! wonderful as always, christa! enjoy pilates! that is one of the hardest workouts for me... i can lift weights and spin til the cows come home, but pilates... ick!

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

What a difference from that country look that used to be so popular and all over the craft show world. Love what you did with it!

Bargain Corner Designs said...

I saw your feature on Funky Junk Interiors and I love what you did w/ this cedar chest. I'm your newest follower! I also have an 80's Lane Cedar chest that I will be dressing in black as well, but WOWZA it's cold here in Michigan and it makes it so hard to haul things out to garage and project (I don't have a heated garage). I'd love for you to take a look at my site and follow me. =)
www.bargaincornerdesigns.blogspot.com

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

Wow, what an amazing transformation. You did a beautiful job!

Terry said...

Just to darn beautiful of a finish! Great job, Terry

Peanut-Butter Kitty said...

I have that very same chest and was going to give it to the GW. I'll be painting it this summer. Thanks for the inspiration. I enjoyed all your before & afters. Shelley

Post a Comment