Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Progress :: French Farmhouse Table






 I've had this table/chairs for several months because I've been uninspired, so yesterday I decided to strip the top and go from there. Still nothing. I went inside for inspiration and stumbled upon a post that Sherry at No Minimalist here wrote which showed her kitchen table:


Ding! Ding! Ding! After the lacquer was stripped, I sanded through the stain down to the bare wood, and did not re-stain it. As much as I wanted to keep the top completely natural, I didn't want to sell it without a clear coat. I debated this, knowing that it would darken the natural wood, but after thoughts of someone spilling red wine on it, I decided to clear coat, and think there is still enough contrast between the top and the base.



The inventory around here has gotten pretty out of control, which I've learned is nothing but a monkey on my back. I'm determined to clear out the garage and back patio and make a fresh start. There is a barn sale in 3 weeks that my fellow AZ blog friends and I will be participating in together, so I'm getting busy! I'll work on the chairs in the next week. Fabric shopping will be a lot of fun!

Linking to:
PhotobucketIhookedupwithHoHlamespice

23 comments:

kathie said...

Large amounts of inventory cause me extreme stress too :) Good luck with yours, the table is looking great!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Your table is beautiful! I just love the legs. Can't wait to see the fabric for the chairs. I have alot of inventory right now as well. But the weather here is already really chilly and I work in my driveway. Still trying to come up with a good plan for winter. I imagine that's not a problem for you in AZ. Good luck getting ready for the barn sale!

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

Simply gorgeous! Can't wait to see the fabric choice for the chairs.

Lori

P.S. What is the table elevated on? The objects look better than the canned goods I use.

Chrissie said...

Your table is beautiful, you were smart to do a clear coat.I can surely relate to that monkey on your back! I hope the sale goes well, sure wish I could come!

LouLou@thelifeofloulou.blogspot.com said...

Perfection. I love it.... I have WAY too much inventory, and it's getting to me... I'm hoping this rain clears out, so I can get busy!

The Frosted Gardner said...

Oh goodness. You have such an eye for class and elegance. If I lived closer - I would be a regular client for sure. Cannot wait to see it pulled together with the finished chairs!

Ann Marie @ Twice Lovely said...

Awesome table, and I can't WAIT to see it with the chairs. It's funny, I'm thinking I'm going to do a similar finish on a completely different style dining set that I have here: natural top with distressed black. Can't wait! Woo hoo! You and me, girl, knocking out the projects! :)

Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack said...

It's stunning! Your work speaks for itself :) I hear ya on the clearing out. I have so many projects sitting in the garage. It gets overwhelming, at times. Beautiful table... good luck at the Barn sale!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Christa, The table turned out wonderful and I can't wait to see what you do with the chairs! I wish I lived close enough to attend your barn sale. Thanks for the mention and link to my blog.
Hugs, Sherry

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Your table looks great! I love the clear top and I'm seeing more and more natural and 'scrubbed' wood pieces showing up in great looking rooms.

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

it is looking fabulous!!! love the black base with it. and i am sure you will do so well at the barn sale and clear out loads of space!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

WOW! You did it again, this is fabulous!
XO
Kristin

Pam - diy Design Fanatic said...

Soooooo gorgeous!!!

Michelle {not Shelly} said...

Beautiful...I love it! Great job!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Wonderful job on that table. I love it. Glad Sherry's gave you the inspiration you needed. I love Sherry's table. I would like to invite you to join my before and after party that just started tonight. savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

I just love how the table turned out! Gorgeous!

Christie said...

Your table turned out AMAZING!!! Love it!!! Thank you so much for the feature! I will grab the button and post on my link! What a nice surprise for this Wed. morning!!! Have a great one! Thanks again! Christie

Leah said...

When and where is the barn sale? I would love to go. I live in AZ. Thanks

Allison@FabRehab said...

Christa, Christa, Christa! Your post came at a perfect time! Love the table! I just picked up a pine pedestal kitchen table to replace our oversized rectangular table. Do you think pine would work with the finish you used above? It's gorgeous!

Rene said...

I really like this look. You did such a great job!

-Rene

Kacey said...

Looking beautiful!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Hi Christa,

Michelle at Shell's Shabby Shack linked to you on her blog so I came over for a peep....and I love your blog. You work real magic on these pieces.

I'm your new follower!

Sarahx

Kirsty said...

I love this table! Great job. Funny you say that about inventory, I've got a french provincial table and chairs, that I can't seem to give away! Love your table. Hope it sells quick!

Post a Comment