-------
I have a great deal of respect for our law enforcement.
As a helping professional myself, I didn't like you, though.
I know your type. You are the kind who enjoys trying to intimidate cooperative citizens.
And you probably thought you ruined my day, but you didn't.
To me, there is a difference between following the letter of the law versus the spirit of the law,
and that our society has blurred the whole thing.
I know you have a quota to make.
And that you don't know that I am an exemplary citizen,
who pays taxes, votes, and is raising 3 more exemplary citizens.
And that I always want to abide by the law.
Like, if I discover I left something in my cart without paying for it after getting to my car,
I will go back in and pay for it, even if it's just a pack of gum.
I realize you didn't know that I left my 3 girls to be at work at 6:30.
And that one of them called me in tears about something that was a pretty big deal.
And that I thought about her all day and couldn't wait to just hold her.
I know you didn't share my excitement when I got out of work an hour early,
because I had plans for me and my little girl.
10 minutes before we met I went to my folks' to pick up the girls,
but the gate was not working.
Nice of you to tell me that you didn't care.
I had to drive around to find an alternate entrance.
I know, I know, you don't care, but I missed the left turn to get into the alternate entrance.
You see, I am a total loser when it comes to finding things, and I have ZERO sense of direction.
That doesn't mean I don't obey traffic signs, though.
I went to the next light and saw this sign:
It is a personal goal of mine not to break traffic laws, especially in front of a cop.
There was absolutely nobody behind me, so I wasn't stopping the flow of traffic to turn around here.
Being the rule follower that I am, when I saw this sign in the median, I interpreted that to mean that it was to protect a minority of people who might consider turning left into all those trees and bushes. In my estimation, a no u-turn sign would be more appropriate than a no left turn.
I'm just sayin'.
Like this one which was the next light north, and why I chose the aforementioned light to turn around.
I'm just sayin'.
Like this one which was the next light north, and why I chose the aforementioned light to turn around.
Now, that's a sign that tells me what I can't do.
I mean, there's not one but TWO signs, in case I missed the first.
I thought I was good. Really, I did. I know you think I'm stupid.
I'm very left-brained and I look for signs to keep me out of trouble.
Maybe you're right and I'm wrong,
but I still believe I made a reasonable and prudent decision and didn't put anyone in jeopardy.
You asked if I saw the "huge" no u-turn and no left-hand turn signs.
I assured you that if I had, I would not have chosen to ignore it.
I started to doubt myself that the u-turn sign actually existed.
You looked at my insurance card, and informed me that it expired yesterday. Oh, the luck.
During the 8 hours it took you to write the ticket,
I had time to call Romeo who told me where the insurance card was.
I had time to call Romeo who told me where the insurance card was.
I was so flattered when I told you where the card was, and you said you were going to give me the benefit of the doubt on that anyway because THAT was an "expensive ticket."
Gee, thanks, pal.
Gee, thanks, pal.
I happen to know that you are not a benefit-of-the-doubt-kind-of-guy,
and have access to insurance databases.
and have access to insurance databases.
You informed me of my 3 options.
Guess which one I'm choosing?
Oh, and you can't give me a ticket for telling all my friends about you.
We still have the 1st amendment, at least for now.
I will see you on December 7th.
Oh, and you can't give me a ticket for telling all my friends about you.
We still have the 1st amendment, at least for now.
I will see you on December 7th.
----------














18 comments:
aw man, what a horrible start to your weekend! you go to court and get him, girl! the good news is the rest of oyur weekend can only get better!
You go girl, and I hope you beat the ticket!!
BUT having been a clerk in traffic court, be prepared for this, in order to make the U-turn you have to turn left and this sign indicates no left hand turn . . .
xxoo
Ugh so sorry! Do you have any friends that are cops. That can get that ticket cleared away for you.
What a bad experience! One time I was pulled over the day after I bought my minivan and the police officer made me and my children, including my 2 week old son pull over and would not let us drive away! My husband had to leave work that day to drive us home. We had the bill of sale and everything, it was so outrageous! We had everything cleared at court but it took hours of my time and was little consolation for being treated like a criminal!
UGH ~ how miserable. But I am with you... if the law is no u-turn, then the sign should say no u-turn. Which it clearly didn't. I am SO sorry!!
:( Sorry! Hugs to you!
I have nothing against the law myself, but I SO know what you are referring to. Three months ago, my husband found out he may lose his job....my head was in the clouds, it was raining and I went through a light that turned red as I was going under it (literally under it when it turned). When I was pulled over, he showed no concern what so ever that my head was thinking about my husband's job and that I have NEVER had a ticket before in my 20 years of driving nor an accident. But, here is the "kicker" the same cop ran the same light not a week later (with no siren on or lights). GO FIGURE?! But, being the citizens we are, we are left with no options against those who "uphold the law".
bring to court your photo proof of the two signs. No left turn vs. no U-turn, hmmm... no left may mean you can only go straight though, Sassy Marsha is right, no U may mean you can go left but not completely around.
You were in the heat of the moment and angry besides. I think your best hope is that he doesn't show. Sorry, I really am on your side.
Sometimes I get tired of waiting for the light outside my subdivision... if no one is in sight, coming from either direction, I make my left turn. I know someday I may get caught, it's the risk I take.
Good luck!
That just stinks! Have a great weekend anyways!!! :)
Yuck!!! I'll definitely be crossing my fingers for you, good luck trying to beat it. How crappy.
Definitely take pictures of both signs to court. I would have done the same thing as you. If u-turns are illegal it should have been posted. Good luck.
Sherry
I do not understand cops who get their kicks being so power hungry and mean! A week after my mother had died, a friend and I decided to go out to lunch. I was going (Yikes) 35 in a 25 zone near a hospital. First of all I saw a police car behind me and he was right on my a**. I mean bumper. I sped up a bit because I thought he was giving me a non verbal message to move it. Then he pulled me over. Now mind you, this was so important to be sure and catch me even though he was transporting a criminal in the back of the squad car. I'm sure my infraction was more serious than what this felon had done. Anyway, the speed limit sign was hidden by trees. I began to sob as it had been a horrible week to get through having just buried my mom. He had no compassion and got even meaner. Later I found out that it is illegal for a cop to pull you over when transporting a criminal for such a minor traffic law infraction. Another time a cop refused to give a woman a citation who ran a stop sign and caused me to broadside her because "he didn't see it happen". Duh!!!! Really? Let's see...she had the stop sign and I didn't. Sorry but you opened up so old wounds! ha!
Good luck in court...let us know how it goes.
That really stinks! I think you have a reasonable argument to back-up your belief that a U-turn was not prohibited at the place where you did yours, especially given the fact that at the very next intersection where U-turns ARE prohibited, the juisdiction (I'm assuming a city) finds it important enough to post TWO consecutive signs indicating the u-turn prohibition. I think you could also argue that a U-turn is a totally different motion (wheel maneuver)than a left turn and distinguish them in that regard. I would start out using those arguments showing why it was reasonable for you to believe that you could do the U-turn and if you don't get anywhere go in the direction of putting the blame on the city in that if U-turns were prohibited, it should have put up/posted the appropriate and specific "no U-turn" sign(s).. it is obvious the city has them and uses them as illustrated by the very next intersection. You could argue that the rules for the intersection are at best vague and confusing. Besides taking pics of both intersections and all the signs, I would also look up the traffic regulations for the jurisdiction involved (ie., city code) for provisions that address U-turns and left turns to see if that helps you. I don't know how successful you will be but there will be some satisfaction in standing up for what you thought was reasonable. The fact that the officer didn't ticket you for the failure to provide proof of insurance is good too, as I would think that you have a better chance beating this in the absence of other traffic violations. Good luck!
Lori
P.S. Can you tell I love to argue. :)
So sorry that your weekend got off to a bad start, Christa. I hope it got better! Good luck with this.
Oh gosh Christa - what a day eh! You know you are going to have to fill us in on the rest of the story as it continues. And I hope you had a wonderful weekend with your girls and your Romeo. :)I know the anxiety of being away from your little ones and talking to them over the phone just doesnt cut it!
That sucks, but Sassy Marsha is right. If you mde a lieft U-Turn, then you had to make a left. It's dumb, yes, but that's how they are going to justify it.
I'm so sorry :( The sign is so little...who knows maybe he won't show up....I've been pulled over twice, once it was a fabulous experience even though I was in the wrong...The cop was nice and I had no issues. The next time I was sexually harrased and should have done something but I didn't .. Speak up..you have nothing to loose my friend!
Another note, I know, I visited Cassie's blog I think we both have wonderful neighborhoods!
Take care
Kristin
PS...you are a wonderful mom
Yours sounds like another story I heard recently. Is it that police officers don't have to have manners or treat people with respect?
Post a Comment