Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Before and After :: 1920's Antique Buffet

 I know I say this a lot, but this is my favorite piece yet.
I found this antique buffet/sideboard on CL, and called to ask the usual questions,
including if it had always been in a smoke-free environment.
She said "no, it hasn't..."
Because of that, I offered $25 less, and she accepted. I drove out to take a smell look.
If the smoke smell was bad, I knew what kind of primer I could have used to cover it up.
But, when I got there, there was no smoke smell in this little lady.

 It needed some repairs and wood filling, which wasn't too bad, and although I could restore the top, the base was trashed.
Yes, I know, I know, you don't paint over antiques.
That is, unless it was not well taken care of and is beyond repair, which was the case with this.

 Here she is after stripping the top, re-staining it, and painting the base BM Bone. This has become my favorite white for furniture, as it is not glaring, yet doesn't have any yellow in it.
It is a soft, mellow white
I contemplated distressing it or leaving it, or glazing it.
Thanks to my virtual blog friends/consultants, Lori and Melanie ,
I/we decided on a light distress to bring out the beautiful features.
Then, I gave it a Varathane semi-gloss clear coat.

 Here she is, all dressed up and ready for her new home!
I looooove her.
I kept the original hardware, and painted it black.

I staged her for her debut with Craig with a 70 year old mixing bowl
(which I found at at a garage sale) filled with limes. 
I am lucky to have a neighbor who always brings me lots of fresh limes.

The top has a beautiful, hand-rubbed finish. 

If this doesn't sell before the Vintage Market, I will bring it with me!
 
Sharing this at:
HookingupwithHoHFurniture Feature FridaysFunky Junk Interiors

35 comments:

LouLou@thelifeofloulou.blogspot.com said...

Such a gorgeous piece! You did an amazing job.

Nicole {Home for Hire} said...

It is so beautiful! It must be hard to let it go...

One Life Many Journeys said...

I have one very similar and I can't wait to do it. Yours is Perfect!

Anne said...

wow - what a great transformation!

Anna @ Take the Side Street said...

Gorgeous! My mother has a buffet that is very similar to this, she would have a heart attack if she saw that you painted it, but *I* love it :) Great job!

Leigh Ann said...

I just had a client drop off their buffet a few minutes ago. We are going for the same finish as yours! Beautiful job!

kathie said...

Yummy yummy, I love love love it!!

Patrice said...

Hi. Very nice job! You mentioned that you would have used a different (I'm assuming?) primer if the buffet had smelled like smoke. I've had to pass on some great finds for that very reason, so am very interested to know what primer should be used in that situation. Please? :)

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

What a wonderful buffet! And I love the bone white with the wood top - just beautiful!

Dayna said...

How much did you get it for and how much are you asking? I love it!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

beautiful!!! i love the bone white- going to have to try that one! it's a nice not bright white. love love the dark top, too! all over just gorgeous!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Fantastic! It's really beautiful Krista. Funny, I would have never thought to ask if it had been in a smoke free environment. Great question to ask next time!

Allison said...

That's gorgeous, Christa! Nice white and a very elegant piece. I love the white with the dark stained top. You did a lovely staging job as well.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

It looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing your go-to white color. I have a tough time finding one that isn't too white but isn't yellow.

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

I can see why it's your favorite! It is soooo beautiful! Love everything!

Michelle {not Shelly} said...

Great job, gorgeous!!

Kacey said...

Beautiful job!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Absolutely beautiful! I will have to give BM bone a try. Have you used SW creamy? I was just wondering if it was similar. Love the dark top. Was it dark walnut?

FOUR ALL SEASONS said...

Looks like a keeper to me!!!

Traci said...

She turned out to be a beauty. Just like Patrice I am curious about the primer that would block out the smell. I would also love to know how you achieved the hand rubbed finish. Thanks so much for sharing, I bet she sells quickly.
Traci

SueAnn said...

Wow!! It is beautiful! Love the dark stained top. Nice touch!
Hugs
SueAnn

The Frosted Gardner said...

This turned out so beautiful. It is no wonder it is one of your favorites. I bet you are wee bit tempted to just keep it! And thanks for the mention - you are so sweet. This truly is stunning - I bet it gets snatched up pretty quickly. Have a wonderful day Christa - cannot wait to see what you have up next!

kimberly @ craftyland said...

gorgeous! can you share your "usual questions" when you are buying from CL? are they posted somewhere? thanks!!

kimberly.

European Paint Finishes said...

Be sure to give yourself a pat on the back :O) - you did a wonderful job on this! Mike and I are VERY impressed! Thanks for the support - We appreciate it!

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

That is a beautiful piece of furniture. You did a lovely job!

Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack said...

I can see that buffet selling quickly. It's stunning! Nice work!

~Michelle

Holly @ Roller Coaster Life said...

I love these buffets! I want one so bad... I need somewhere to put it! I need a bigger house!! =)

You did great on this!

Cara Moran said...

I'm in love with the piece AND with what you did to it. Glorious perfection!

Anne: Refinishing virgin as of 11-12-2010 said...

Christa, Gorgeous! I would also love to know what color the top is and how you achieved such a rich look. Thanks for sharing!

Jenni said...

I don't care what they say about painting antiques--that piece is gorgeous! A friend just bought a sideboard nearly identical and I hope hers turns out this nicely.

Rene said...

What a pretty piece. I like that you left the top dark.

-Rene

Nichelle @ Vintage Wanna Bee said...

WOW! This is awesome!!!

I would love to see what you think of my crafts!

http://vintagewannabee.blogspot.com/

Libby said...

Very nice! I agree with you sometimes pieces can't be fixed, and they need to be painted over.

Libby
http://doingmyownblogthing.blogspot.com/

Emily @ Finding My Aloha said...

Uhh, GORGEOUS! I am in love!

Cheri said...

This is so pretty!! I just love it. One of these days, I will try my hand at something like this! I'm your newest follower!

Post a Comment