I don't really consider myself a crafty person. Furniture reinventing is more my thing. But, I love the look of boxwood topiaries! It adds a natural element that brightens up any decor. But, they are pricey. So, even though I loved these topiaries from RH (ranging from $39-149), I decided to save some money and make my own, starting with just one. I didn't do the leafy boxwood topiares like the picture because I couldn't find it inexpensively. If anyone knows where to find cheap boxwood, will you please tell me? (You'll be my new BFF.)
The first thing I noticed in this picture was that the pots were unsmooth (it's a new word).
So, I bought a basic clay pot and smeared light weight spackle all over it. Sort of like frosting a cake. But with a pot. And with your bare hands.
After smearing it on, I let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then, I lightly sanded it to knock it down a bit.
Next, I roughed the surface up some more with my nails. If I had to do it over again, I'd make the spackling even more chunky.
After it dried (I didn't wait too long), I sprayed it with Rustoleum Heirloom White.
I then rubbed on some undiluted Burnt Umber universal tint. (From the big orange box. It's under $4 and will last forever.) Just use a paper towel. There is no technique here, folks.
Take a damp paper towel and wipe off as much of the universal tint as you can. It won't come off like you want and it'll look blotchy until the next step.
Next, tear off a small piece of 0000 steel wool, dip it in water and start scrubbing away. It leaves behind a nice patina. If and when I get around to ordering some rub 'n buff, I'll do that instead of the glaze.
After
The topiaries themselves are easy to make with preserved sheet moss. (I found it at Hobby Lobby and Joann's. Our Michael's didn't carry it.) Pick whatever styrofoam shape your little heart desires (Hobby Lobby had the best selection). I just pinned it on with little dress pins. I didn't want to deal with glue all over me. Lord knows I can't even get the paint off my hands.
(This new blogger layout messes up the orientation of my images. Sorry.)
I did these little round moss balls as well...and pins weren't cutting it because they were so small. Those will go in a bowl or glass container for display.
I sprayed the back of the sheet moss with some fabric glue I had on hand and simply wrapped it around the styrofoam. I did add some pins, too. (See how well the moss sticks to the can?)
This is the start of something b-e-a-utiful...I can't wait to make more, and do a clustering of various shapes and sizes like the RH photo.
Linking to the parties in my sidebar --- >
{Recipe}:
{Supplies}: Clay pot, styrofoam shapes, preserved moss, spray on adhesive, dressmakers pins, paper towels, 0000 steel wool
{Paint, etc.}: Rustoleum Heirloom White, Burnt Umber Universal Tint, Lightweight Spackling.
Tata,


























6 comments:
Love how the pot turned out (for a fraction of the cost). "Necessity is the mother of invention," as they say. Don't you love the topiaries in the Ballard catalog, too? They always have cute ideas.
Good Job! I like your ideas!
I think to vary it with another style, after the spanish moss is all glued on, you could always take some artificial ivy and twist it around/ pin it in place I would imagine. Once you have it set the way you want, then you could glue it more permanently. Or perhaps find some artificial boxwood, snip it off and glue it into place on the styrofoam ball... That is probably what I would do I suppose, if I were attempting it.
That looks great! I like what you did with the pots~they look old and worn and just perfect!
I'd like to know where to get some cheap faux boxwood, too.
Those came out great! Love them!
Great tutorial
Our readers would love this.
do get yourself a link back from our (PR3-4) site Here:
http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-tutorial-linky-party-4/
We welcome good DIY/Craft tutorials, so come join in.
Rose
I have a very similar love/obsession with boxwood. I wanted my entire yard to be planted like an english garden... so I have found some awesome faux boxwood at Tai Pan Trading. I don't know where you live as I just found your blog post from Tatertots and Jello, but if you have one close enough they are well worth the $4.99 that they cost.
Post a Comment