This morning I was poking around Craigslist for garage sales and found a post that said:
"OUR AUNT DID ESTATE SALES FOR 40 YEARS AND NOW THEY WILL BE SELLING THE PROPERTY (3 ACRES) WITH A 9.000 SQUARE FOOT BUILDING WITH A TON OF STUFF IN IT. YOU PICK IT AND WE'LL PULL IT AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE BEST PRICE IN TOWN. PRICING TO MOVE. IT'S A MESS, BUT IT ALL HAS TO GO. FURNITURE, ANTIQUE, REALWOOD, DISHES, MATERIAL, LINENS, PICTURES, PAI NTINGS, MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE. PLEASE CALL JEAN"
I took the bait. Even though she doesn't know that all caps means shouting. I called and asked a few questions, and figured it was only a 15 minute drive, so we made a family adventure out of it. I am not one to surprise easily, but when she said "more than you can imagine," she wasn't kidding. It was like buried treasure. There were hundreds and hundreds of furniture pieces, piled on top of each other, and covered in dirt. You couldn't find drawers to the dressers, the legs were removed from all the tables, and there was glass everywhere. It was a sad situation, actually.
I thought for a moment in disbelief, then formulated a response. The exchange went something like this:
"If I go through all of this and make a pile, will you give me a good deal?"
"Oh, yes! You mean you'll stay and try to find something?"
"Uh huh."
^^^I got the impression people don't stay.^^^
Let the games begin. Romeo and I rolled up our sleeves, and so did our Little Women, who were responsible for some of our finds. They have quickly learned what to look for and what to let go. We were there about 2 hours in the scorching heat. It ended up being a cool memory for us, though.
I did have a moment of horror when I overheard my youngest asking the lady about her teeth. Sounded like, "Are they loose?" And then something about a dentist was discussed at length. Later I heard her asking about her smoking habits. Truly, her heart was in the right place. (A discussion about appropriate conversations ensued later.)
I'd love to say that I found a ton of great stuff. There were so many incredible pieces, but since everything was piled up so haphazardly, and perfectly good dressers were missing drawers, either I couldn't get to it or I couldn't find all the parts. It was a shame, really.
^^^This is how old this stuff was^^^
(I should have brought it home as a souvenir.)
(I should have brought it home as a souvenir.)
Here is what we found. She wanted $40 for everything,
but we gave her a wee bit more. :)
The part I like least about what I do is unloading the furniture while I sense the neighbor's eyes peering out their windows.
I cope with my insecurity by referring to ourselves as the Grizwalds of the neighborhood.
We giggle about it and move on with our lives.
(You should see this place at Christmas.)
Our future dental hygeinist scored this pillow lamp.
She carried it around for 2 hours, so Jean gave it to her.
Kate is very proud of that lamp. I asked what color I could paint it for her. She wants "the gold to be purple" and "the white to be hazel." It was broken, so no lampshade in the house fit. That was a shocker.My husband is my hero. He comes home covered in dust and starts repairing stuff for me.
I sure do love him.
We make a great team.
Now, for that shower.















13 comments:
What a good man! :)
How did I miss this? We even drove by there today on our way to a furniture place we'd heard about. Your trip turned out so much better than ours! Maybe we should check this out?!
WOW! I bet your heart was just racing with excitement when you saw the potential of what was in there. I LOVE, LOVE ,LOVE the French Provincal dressers...and the chairs.
So funny! I was laughing out loud at your daughter's teeth comment, and your Griswald comment...
I love some good junk furniture to spruce up... who cares if the neighbors are watching. hey, everybody has to have a hobby - right?
I love that your husband got into it as much as you do - he sounds like a great guy.
What a fun adventure that was and how neat the whole family got involved. Looks like you found some really amazing pieces. You should tell the lady you'll help her organize an auction and take a percentage either in merchandise, cash or both. Now THAT would really be fun! :) Pam @ Sallygoodin
It looks like you got amazing things. I can't wait to see what you do with the French provincial furniture.
Traci
Such a cool story and great finds. I wish I lived nearby! I would totally dig through all that stuff too.
Sarah
That is my idea of a great time! You and your family found some great stuff~I can't wait to see what you do with it.
What an entertaining post... love the first pic of your husband and the one of your daughter zonked out in the car. It looks like you made a great deal on some goods pieces and had a fun family day.
Wow...I'm so jealous. I would so dig through all that too for deals like that. Can't wait to see what you do with all of it.
Sister! You scored!!!
I would have gone crazy at that place. I have no fear of looking through stuff to find the goods. You really did score.
Christa,
I went over there today, and poked around myself for a couple of hours. You're right about it being sad, I've never seen such a giant pile of junk. Broken legs on every single piece? Drawers missing from every single dresser? How does that even happen? Jean was very sweet, and I did walk away with a few things, but can you imagine how amazing it would have been if someone hadn't absolutely trashed that stuff?
Hey! I loveee your blog! Thanks for sharing all your design secrets! Funny enough, I have a really beautiful vintage armour dresser that is this pasty green with the SAME exact drawer pulls that are on the super cool cream dresser! Where did you find the dresser at? Do you know anything about the drawer pulls? one of them actually broke and it's probably a long shot, but i'd love to find a replacement... thanks again for the great blog!
I live in AZ, too. Scottsdale, to be specific. I'm new to blogland and DIY, but I'm so addicted!!! Where is the junkyard? What do you search on Craigslist? Love your blog :)
natalie
Post a Comment