The entry finally got a little attention today.
I worked some magic on this antique chair:
With the paint sprayer, all it needed was 3 light coats that took all of 2 minutes each! I love that thing.
I rubbed through the black with my favorite tools ~ a razor blade, then 220 sandpaper. I know most people recommend 80 grit, but I don't like the scratchy look it leaves. 220 grit doesn't leave those scratchy marks, but it takes too long. Distressing with a razor blade is fast, then I like to smooth everything with a light sanding with 220. This especially works great along intricate edges.
I'm sure if you've rubbed through black, you've noticed that no matter which technique you use, the surrounding paint is dulled, and it looks like you've ruined all your hard work. Applying a clear coat takes care of that, as long as everything is nice and smooth after distressing.
The entry is getting there. On my to do list:
Any suggestions on an accent color?
What I should do with the door?
How I can get my kid to put her toys away?
Sharing this over at:
Blue Cricket Design
Creations by Kara
Domestically Speaking
The Trendy Treehouse
How I can get my kid to put her toys away?
Sharing this over at:
Blue Cricket Design
Creations by Kara
Domestically Speaking
The Trendy Treehouse

















6 comments:
It's looking great! You've made a very welcoming entryway. And the chair is beautiful.So is the door. Normally, I paint everything, but it's so pretty I think I'd just restain it. As far as accent colors~I like the chunky white frame on the right. More white? And maybe navy blue? You really could do anything there.
As far as the toys go, good luck there. I just waited until my kids outgrew toys. :)
The chair turned out great! Your entryway looks perfectly welcoming. Maybe go with black for the door - or would that be too much black for you? It would definitely pull together the other black accents and I think would look very elegant. Not that your door doesn't look elegant right now. It just sounds like you're wanting a change! :)
hi christa! everything is looking great and the chair is adorable! i would say start by painting the trim out to match the molding on the floor- i think that will make it more cohesive. i see red in the flowers next to the door and red in the artwork, and red is fabulous for front doors according to feng shui. it would be a great pop of color, too!
Hi, Christa. You did a fantastic job on that chair. Thanks for sharing your techniques. Because of one of your previous posts(antique desk?), I now love the razorblade... so much easier than sanding and gives great results. Your entry is beautiful... I am especially coveting that rug. As far as accent colors go,if you want to go bold, Ralph Lauren has a blacky,brown,grey,maybe with a little purple color called Starry Night... can you tell I'm not sure what color it really is? :) Anyway, Starry Night is the kind of color that looks SCARY in the can but really pops accessories on walls... but it might not be what you are looking for. Also, in regard to your frenchy pillow, have you seen Celia Birtwell's fabric collection? I love her Jacobean collection, especially her 'Jacobean at night' fabric. Can't wait to see what you do!
Perhaps a green or a paprika/spicy orange color? It looks great as it is.
oooo.Thanks for the tip on the razor blade and 220 grit!
Brittany
http://www.prettyhandygirl.com
Post a Comment