Thursday, July 8, 2010

The table that almost didn't come home with me

Remember the Goodwill table I posted about here? It's all done, but I would love your advice on the chairs I am going to makeover to complete the set, since I will be reselling it. So keep reading and I can't wait to hear what you would be most likely to buy yourself...

Before: 
After:
 Look at those beautiful wood in-lays:

It was missing the two end leaves, but it was still worthy of the makeover:

Here's where I need your opinions. I found these Bergere chairs for (don't hate me) $30 each. I have 2 armchairs and 6 side chairs. I thought I'd use four of them for this table. I think I want to cover them with burlap or canvas or something similar (any other suggestions?). (Edited to add: burlap would be too scratchy, but I love the inspiration picture! I would have to use linen or canvas, I think.)
 Romeo thinks they should be black like these:
(Source: The Willows Home and Garden)


But I was thinking about doing white chairs with distressing like this:
 (The Willows Home and Garden)

Here is a close up of what I'm working with:

I think it would also make a pretty desk:

Okay, let's hear it! What is your vote ~ black, white, burlap, or something else altogether?

Edited to add: I've decided on doing sblack distressed chair with a french script fabric.

Blessings, 

25 comments:

Terri @ em-belle-ish.blogspot.com said...

The table/desk is fabulous! What a find and you are an amazing restorationist :).

Although I like the white on the chairs, I agree with Romeo about the black. I think it would be quite stunning with a burlap type fabric.

Whichever way you go, I am sure it will be beautiful.

Staci J said...

Hmmm. I like the distressed look personally, keep it close to the color you painted your table. The table looks fab though!! Visiting from Tidymom
justsewsassy.com

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

I'm lovin' the white chairs with burlap! Those chairs really rock at $30 each...hop over on Monday and show them off at my NIFTY THRIFTY party!

Blessings,
Linda

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Maybe a linen type fabric that has a similar look to burlap. Burlap is really uncomfortable even though the look is fabulous. Way too scratchy to sit on. Love the chairs, and yes I am green with envy. Table looks gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

Heidi said...

Nice makeover!

My vote would be black with the burlap. I'm feeling like white on white on white is being done so much lately that I like to see something a little out of the norm.

Peggy of Plush Nest said...

You might want to check out canvas drop cloths. They would be softer against the skin than burlap and still give a similar look- plus it's really sturdy and pretty affordable.

Irene Robertson said...

I agree with Marty - linen would be much more comfortable than burlap. I also agree with whoever suggested black. The white is very over done. Although, you could be whimsical and try another color like light blue or pale yellow. Just an idea.

Irene @ OurUglyHome

Van said...

The burlap is beautiful, love the warm color and texture. But it tends to wear quickly. Also, would it be comfortable? I'd imagine it would be itchy...

shelly @ the familyblt said...

What a great deal. I vote for white with the distressing oooorrrr a fun, funky color--both with burlap. I'm sure it will look great!

Handbags*N*Pigtails said...

I like the chairs in black!:) Beautiful table too. Found you from Miss Mustard Seed's link up.
Sarah
HandbagsNPigtails.blogspot.com

Ramblings of a Photo Girl said...

Go with the black chairs for sure! And, I might just buy this one off of you!

Theresa said...

Nice job on the table! I love the chairs and for 30. you got a steal on them... I use drop cloths a lot and let me tell you it is so durable and I love the color. I do like burlap and I guess I didn't know you could even get any that wasn't scratchy but was soft, where do you find that? Anyway, I know white is done a lot but I feel like it's done so much because it looks gorgeous when it is. I think look around the rest of your home and see what you think it needs. I do go with every room needs a little bit of black to anchor it, whether it's a lamp or small table even. Anyway, I really just wanted to tell you nice job!!! Theresa

Deenie said...

if you leave them white, then pop with color the fabric. if you use a neutral fabric then pop the color of the chair wood

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said...

Oh, I love the black, but I am with you...If they were mine, I would have to go white!
Thank you for sharing!
Leticia

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

What a great job you did on that gorgeous table... and those chairs, ummm, yeah, I did hate you... for 10 seconds. :) If they were mine, I would definitely go with white distressed frames on the chairs. I think a black finish might be such a contrast given the shape of the table (elegant but simple lines) and could possibly be distracting... but maybe not. For fabric, I love your idea of a burlap-looking fabric like the pics of those chairs, or as others have commented, you can't go wrong with linen. If you keep it as a desk and use just one arm chair, you could get edgy and go with a tonal, low contrast print, maybe a zebra print in a sand and cream color. On Horschow's webite there is a beautiful slate and cream zebra print chair... but I'm thinking that is not where you want to go. Can't wait to see what you do... whatever it is, I'm sure it will be great.

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Your table came out fab, and the chairs are going to be a beautiful addition, but I have to say I agree with Romeo, black with burlap and studs is great. The picture made me gasp! It is just the right contrast of color and texture and it would elevate your whole set into a new level of chic. Maybe too much contrast? BUT, what do YOU want to do? It's your project! Love it, btw!

Jami said...

What a beautiful blog! I really like your inspiration chairs in black, but the white would look stunning as well. You have such talent! I'm your newest follower!
smiles!

www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

Entertaining Women said...

My motto has always been, "If it doesn't move, paint it!" I like your work, and I'm excited to become a follower. www.entertainingwomen.com

The Girl Creative said...

I just wanted to let you know that you are the winner of the Retrosaria Rua giveaway over at The Girl Creative blog. :) Congratulations! Please email me your mailing address and your choice of prize so that I can forward the info to our sponsor. Thanks so much for entering. :)

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Grain sacks!! That would look great on those chairs.
Miss Mustard Seed has a tutorial on how to fake your own vintage grain sacks.

I also vote for white. :)

The Redhead Riter said...

I love the white~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gorgeous chairs and table!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i think the black will make them a little more sophisticated and with the pale blue upholstery it will look gorgeous! the white will be a little more airy. i say go with the black- it will give the table more weight. either way it will be gorgeous wuite frankly! so it really just depends on the look YOU want!

Young and Crafty said...

I love the table! I like the black chairs best.

Hannah
http://youngancrafty.blogspot.com/

Kathy said...

Ok I'm still hating you...$30 bucks a piece!!!! Too mad to answer the question......

Holly @ posypocket.blogspot said...

wow you have some great ideas! i love your blog!

Post a Comment