Sunday, August 8, 2010

You have no idea how glad I am to finish this desk.

You may remember this desk that I brought home like another stray pet. Unless an intervention took place, either it was headed for the landfill, or to a home where someone doesn't mind vacuuming every hour.

My wonderful husband (who plays Romeo on this blog) is the master rebuilder of bases that sit on wet curbs. 
The Master. 
He turned the rotted base into this:
I didn't take a real before of the desk, but you can catch a shot of it here, after he replaced the base with non-shedding wood.
Remember this antique chair that I found buried 
under heaps of furniture at the junkyard?
 
It needed quite a bit of help, too.
You are wondering if I was tempted to keep the label that warns people about the questionable practice of keeping flammables away from fabric, aren't you? 
(That is a no.)

After a new seat, new foam, and batting,  
they are the perfect match.

As Mom always said whenever I went through a break-up,
there is a lid for every pot.
(I get it now.)


Everything was distressed
and glazed with Metallic Taupe acrylic paint.
(I borrowed the glaze color idea from my pal Lori 
at Projects Plenty when she did this gorgeous sideboard.)

The drawers were refreshed with a little decoupage.
And boy, did they need it. The lucky girl who gets this desk will be able 
to choose her fabric and knobs. 
What do you think she'll pick?
Cute and all pink?
A mixture of pink and black patterns? (My favorite.)Or all out sassy?

 (I sure hope she picks the pink zebra because it's already stapled.)

I'll keep ya posted!

Linking to:

31 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

so worth all the effort! it looks amazing! and i love it for me with the brown, but the pink is sooo cute for a little girl!

Ann Marie @ Twice Lovely said...

Yay! I LOVE all three options. I'd be hard-pressed to choose, but I think my favorite is the pink zebra with the sassy black and white knobs. So cute!!

The Frosted Gardner said...

Hey Christa - this turned out beautiful. I cannot believe the transformation! Love the fabric. And Romeo did a fab job on repairing and actually rebuilding the base of the desk. Nice to have a Romeo around isnt it!

Jeralee said...

Oh whole lot of work, and SO WORTH IT! The chair is similar to the dining room chairs I just picked up, except your chair was in much better shape.
You do lovely work and I loved the before and after. That hubby is definitely a keeper.

Elizabeth said...

Such a cute redo! I love the knobs you put on the desk, they go perfectly! You are very talented!

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

You KILLED the desk and chair (in a good way). :) The set is gorgeous. I really like the pink zebra (that fabric was a score) with the black and white hardware... however, the other hardware option is very nice, too. I also really like the black zebra. I am thinking you won't have this very long.

Melanie said...

Love this! I would actually pick the pink with pink knobs. So cute!

Jenni said...

I love the desk and chair! My personal favorite is the pink zebra fabric with the pink knobs, which is strange, because I am not usually a pink person! But no matter what she chooses, all three options are cute! You did a fantastic job on them both! :)

I hope you have a good night!

Kacey said...

You did a fabulous job, Christa! The fabric works perfectly - good eye! Love how it turned out.

Pamela said...

That turned out beautifully! My next project is a desk.

Biljana said...

Hi Christa!!
Wow!! Such a beautiful makeover, looks great, bravo:))
I am your newest follower, I found you in Between Naps on the Porch.
Greetings from Europe, Biljana

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

WOW! it was well worth all that effort - it turned out phenomenal!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

That desk is lovely! You have quite an eye for refinishing :)

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Christa,
This is not a makeover or even a transformation... it is a miracle! What a heavenly job. I am wild about the chair too. The zebera fabric is so fun.
The glaze color for this desk is fabulous. I'm going over to Lori's to see what she used! WOW!
Such a great and inspiring visit!
Yvonne

Sjn said...

I do love the pink knobs and the pink zebra seat! Sooo gorgeous!

Julie said...

I love the pink zebra!

Suesan said...

Wowsers! What a lot of work you put into that desk. You did an amazing job and I'm not sure if I could decide between the pink and the black...they're both so cute!

Come check out my latest projects at http://FrouFruGal.blogspot.com

LuckyStarErin said...

Wow! You do beautiful work. Your blog is divine! The instructions and supply lists are outstanding.

Anna said...

looks fabulous! great job

Ches said...

Unbelievable how well this turned out. You did a fantastic job and your hubby has some serious skills with powertools.

Lynda said...

Beautiful as always! I choose the pink zebra with the pink knobs too. Also, I love the bright pink paper as the drawer liners.
Thanks for sharing! Best wishes to you!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Great job! Turned out beautiful! I agree, I'd keep the mix of pink and black!

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

This is so beautiful and charming. You and your husband make a great team. Thank you for linking with Fabric Fun Thursday.

Amanda@The Hand Me Down House said...

Wow, Christa! That turned out so adorable! I think I would like that for my desk! :) Love the pink and white -- it turned out just perfect!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

That will be one lucky little lady who gets that! I'm featuring your desk in the PoPP Spotlight on Saturday... thanks for sharing with us :)

gail said...

great job romeo building that base! That intrigues me!
love the desk and the chair!
lid for every pot? I've never heard that one, but yeah! I get it. cute
gail

Karen@DignifiedRubbish said...

Coming over from Domestically Speaking...wow I LOVE this desk and the pops of PINK!! I am now a follower!

Ellie said...

Wow, beautiful work!

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

I just love this! I love the zebra for some reason!! I am also working on a french provincial little girls desk and chair to sell. I made it more geared to a younger girl with bubble gum colored hardware, chair and pretty fabric.

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

I'm trying to become a follower but google friend connect is not cooperating tonight. I put your blog in my sidebar and I will be back to follow when it is working.

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Wonderful makeover!

Post a Comment