Friday, August 20, 2010

Laundry cabinets, take two. Keepin it real.

I'm over my tantrum,
and I'm ready to repaint the cabinets. 

Yep, repaint.
The picture above is the new glazed white cabinets...
...already disassembled.

It wasn't until everything was done and put back together until I realized that while they were very pretty alone, they are too brown for *this* room. 

Out of curiosity, I put the doors all around my kitchen 
and they are gorgeous & perfect in there. 
(Of course they were.)

Romeo saw *the look* and knew just how to lift some of the burden of redoing everything, and did all the drilling stuff this time.
He gets me.


I inherited the brown flooring, brown counters, and brown cabinets.
What color might you guess the walls were? 
Yes, tan.
It wasn't bad, but just not a room I loved walking into.

My philosophy on laundry rooms is that it is a space to make fun and unique since doing laundry isn't the most enjoyable chore.
I love farmhouse and vintage inspired rooms, so that is the look I am going for in here.
Now I'm hoping I can find the perfect white cabinet color that will tie everything together.
I need to decide if I should glaze at all. I'm leaning towards not. 
If anything, just a pinstripe. 
I've consider removing the wallpaper and choosing a warmer color, but I love that wallpaper, and don't want to go through all that.

I'm open to ideas!


10 comments:

Kacey said...

Well...I love the stripes, so don't change them! :-) I'm not sure about the color. I struggle so much with matching colors sometimes. You've got a a great eye, so I know it will turn out great (even if it's the 2nd or 3rd time!).

Traci said...

I love the finished cabinets but must agree, they don't go well with the blue and white stripped walls. I hate doing things over. Can't wait to see how you solve the problem.
Traci

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

krista- the coloring on the floor and cabinets is warm and neutral, so i think you could get away with a grayed down blue on the wall ( something soft slate-like) and it would look great and keep the cooler color in the room. i love the blue and it is very soothing.... just that particular blue and the stripes don't go. i think it would be a lot easier to repaint your walls than to repaint teh cabinets that you just did. plus the cabinets look fabulous! that's my take on it!

Sjn said...

I like the cabinet color with the floor, and would go with stripping the wallpaper and repainting the walls a warmer green like you spoke about.
It will give the whole room a very updated look.

Courtney said...

I actually think the darker blue stripe goes well, it is the combination of the lighter stripe with it that lightens it up quite a bit and is making it look odd. What if you painted the room the darker blue-ish/aqua color?

I agree with the others that the cabinets look lovely and go well with the floors.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Honestly? I'm a fan of pure white~no glaze. But re-doing the cabinets would be such a pain and they do look really good~why not paint the walls THE color of the year? (basically, what Courtney says..)

boosted98mitsu said...

maybe I'm crazy....but, I kind of like everything just the way it is!

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

I hesitate to say this because you probably have already resprayed your cabinets, but I think they look really good, especially with the countertop and tile you have. I'm sure whatever you do will look beautiful.

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

Christa!! You have no idea how much I relate to this post!!!!!
We bought a new home and EVERYTHING was brown or tan!! Brown floors, same shade of brown cabinets, and a deep with yellow undertones tan paint job. I am drowning in brown! I am so anxious to get my own cabinets painted! I'm glad you actually tackled it- it seems like a lot attempt to and then hire out. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I think I can...but I know what a huge undertaking it will be. Hmmmmm.....thanks for your honesty in posting this! Love it!

JoLynn said...

Just found your blog and you are probably done with this project already, but just thought I'd comment anyways. We painted our kitchen cabinets and crown molding and built-in shelf and hooks and bench {among other projects} "White Dove" by Benjamin Moore. It's a perfect off-white. It looks white, but is not a bright white. I love it. Hope this helps!!

Post a Comment