I'm stalling.
I need a few more days for the reveal of this desk I found totally wasted.
I need a few more days for the reveal of this desk I found totally wasted.
You won't believe the difference after rehab.
My wonderful husband (aka Romeo) rebuilt the base for me.
I'm pairing it with this chair that I got for $5 at the junkyard.
I've encountered some issues with both, so it's taking a little longer to finish than I'd hoped. Same story, different wood.
Meanwhile, I thought I'd post something happy, since my last post was...between happy and sad, you could say.
Here are ten small things that keep my world going. In case you were wondering. It goes without saying that these are secondary to God, family, a roof over my head, bread on the table, etc. (Uh, I just read this and it sounds like a commercial. Sorry 'bout that.)
#10. Yummy smells in the house. Creamy Nutmeg Wallflowers from Bath & Body is my favorite. It gives me that cozy feeling when I walk by it. They only sell it in stores during holidays, but I get it all year online when they go on sale. I also love their Leaves and Winter candles.
#9 A salad spinner. I'm sure everyone has one, but I think I'm so smart every time I use it.
#8 Vitamix/Blendtec. I can make the best whole-fruit smoothies and healthy pancakes from oats, egg whites, cottage cheese, flax, blueberries, cinnamon and vanilla (tested and approved by the pickiest of men in this family). My kids BEG me for my pancakes. The blender is pricey, but I think the health benefits are worth it. I would only buy it from Costco, though. My first Vitamix died on me after 3 years, and I sent it back to the company three times without a resolution, so I took it back to Costco, no questions asked. I used the money to buy a brand new Blendtec :) Costco's return policy rocks.
#7 As for cleaning the house, I like to get in and get out. It leaves more time for stuff I'd rather do (be with family and work on furniture). I know I should take the time to make my own green cleaners, but for now, I like the multi-surface stuff because I can get a lot done, fast. The toilet wand I'll mention briefly in case you're having a snack. Two thumbs up there. I've also tried a lot of tile floor cleaners and keep coming back to Armstrong. It smells so good, and doesn't leave any residue. And I use 0000 steel wool for ceramic gas stoves (and I would imagine glass cooktops?) with a little vinegar or windex to get the stubborn spots off.
#6 Chi hair straightener/serum, mascara, pressed powder, and spf 30 lip stuff with lipstick. Like cleaning, I don't like to spend time primping, so this is all I use most days. If I'm working that day, I might go hog wild and put a little eye shadow on.
#5 Amelan-M. While on the subject of makeup, I have a lot of ugly brown blotches on my face from melasma and a laser treatment-gone-wrong that caused post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Amelan evens everything out by shutting down the melanocytes that cause hyperpigmentation. After a week or so of using it, my skin stopped flaking, and the brown spots were 95% gone. I've been a loyal customer ever since. It's pricey, but a jar lasts months, so it's worth it to me.
#4 Stevia. This helps me cut down on the diet coke habit and get more water. I squeeze a fresh lime or 1/2 lemon in a big glass, add ice water and some Stevia ~ it tastes like lime/lemonade.
#3 Craigslist and Goodwill. I have a bit of love/hate relationship with both, but when I get lucky, I love 'em! (I hope you are signed up to receive 20% off coupons from Goodwill?)
#2 5 a.m. and Dunkin Donuts coffee. I tiptoe out of bed an hour before everyone else and make my favorite coffee with a little flavored creamer and enjoy the quiet time.
#1 Blogs. I am so inspired by what I read and the pictures I see on your blogs! Most of you are very willing to share your advice and ideas. And, I am especially grateful for the amazing women I've met through blogging, some whom I enjoy keeping in touch with all week long.
So that's a little glimpse into my simple pleasures.
What are yours?















11 comments:
How do you get the 20% off coupons from Goodwill????
Just go to their website and sign your email up for coupons. You’ll get one on the spot, then periodically.
dunkin donuts coffee- i am SO with you there! there is nothing like it. nothing. in louisiana we didn;t have dunkin donuts so when we moved to md, i was THRILLED!!! i literally go at least once a week, and i also buy it at the store and brew at home. and my kids heart munchkins, which are a special treat!
Hi Christa! First off, LOVE your blog. Secondly, I am interested in finding out more about Amelan...can you tell me where you purchase it? Thanks!!
Christa, can't wait to see what you do with the desk and that beautiful chair.
On another front, most of the flooring in my home is tile... I agree, there is nothing better than the blue Armstong "no sticky residue" tile cleaner. Hey, for cleaning stainless steel appliances, grills, etc., I use Dymon Stainless Steel Cleaner Towels (www.dymon.com)... it is a superior cleaner AND polisher. The SS surfaces after use are spotless and super shiny.
Hockey Family - I sent you an email...
Cassie - Now I'm thinking about Munchkins, thanks girlfriend!
Lori - so glad you chimed in, because I haven't found a good SS cleaner. You rock sister.
I'm with you on the yummy smells! And as difficult as it is, I find that a clean and organized house makes a big difference in my mood. Not that it's often attained, but when it is - I'm a happy girl!
I am so with you on #1, #3 and #10....
My absolute simple guilty pleasure is Diet Pepsi. Always puts me in a good mood.
Hockey Family - I got your email...and sent you a new message. If you don't get it let me know, but check your spam folder.
I love that chair! What an amazing find! Cant wait to see the reveal!
Hi! I found your blog from Miss Mustard Seed, I think...and I just LOVE it!
I was wondering if you could give me a little information on the Amelan-M...I have melasma as well, an autoimmune problem created it for me, and would love to know more information!
Thanks so much!
Post a Comment