Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Yesterday's Writing Desk...Today's Entry Table

I've been looking for a foyer table for months. My requirements: 1) cheap 2) curvy legs 3) a drawer. The kids use the foyer as a stage and leave their CD's laying around. I need a drawer to make the CD's disappear. They need a spot to call their own.

Here is a before of this early 1900's writing desk. I saw the curves of this table and had a vision. I just love old furniture. It looks like wood...but it was ALL paint...that needed to be stripped. I almost didn't take it home with me. (By the way, I'd love to know the history of why they used to PAINT furniture to look like wood, when it was actually wood???) Then I looked at those spindle legs and changed my mind.
I'm a sucker for spindles.
Scratches GALORE. Somebody liked writing letters. 
I stripped the multiple layers and decades of paint.
I saw red, white, & brown. I sanded the scratches as best I could. (Somebody had a very firm grip on their pen when they wrote those letters.) The drawer was disintegrated so I glued it back together.
I tried Ben Moore Metal and Wood Latex Enamel on this piece, and I really like it. It is self-priming and coats better than anything I've used. I distressed it, smoothed it 0000 steel wool and protected it.

It is exactly what I wanted for this spot all along.

I love these anthro-inspired knobs from HL.
I'm a happy girl. 

Linking this project to these parties.

10 comments:

Karen Jeffries said...

What a transformation! The "new" table looks great in the entry! Just the right size. When I get a house of my own, we'll have to do some looking for old furniture...

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Definitely :)

Ramblings of a Photo Girl said...

LOVE this too!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Adorable! I just used the same paint, its great!

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

I've had fun looking through your back posts. You are really dedicated to doing a thorough job on your projects. These piece looks excellent.

MELANIE said...

That came out great. Im trying to find a matte black finish for a hutch im working on right now. I went the spray paint option, but thinking Im gonna have to paint anyway. Thanks for sharing your project.

Jen-CraftOManiac said...

BEAUTIFUL I love black furniture, and with a little wear to it. YOU DID A FAB. JOB! so glad you linked it up. THANKS, HAVE A SUPER WEEK! Jenn

Mandy [Mandipidy] said...

I saw "repurposed" on i ♥ naptime, and I HAD to come see. I LOVE it! And I love the knob - too cute :]

Kaysi said...

Cute! I love that knob!

Classy Clutter said...

That is gorgeous! LOVE the knob! The legs and the knob make the table amazing! So cute!

Visiting from Classy Clutter,
Mallory

www.classyclutter.blogspot.com

Post a Comment