Sunday, May 16, 2010

French Black and Cream Dining Table (sold)




I absolutely love how it turned out!

Before:
Light wood & painted fruit...

The table was painted in Antique White milk paint.
Milk paint always goes on so smooth
Then it was aged...

The chairs were painted black
and distressed to show the gorgeous curves.
The worn-out foam was replaced
and covered with some pretty, damask fabric.
And now I must say goodbye as it goes back to Craigslist.
I admit I grew very attached to this one.
I'm linking up to these parties.

24 comments:

Lisa said...

Very cute!

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

It's so pretty, you did a nice job.

Leslie said...

Why oh WHY do you have to live in Arizona!? I would buy it from you!!
I do Craigslist, too!
It is exactly what I have been looking for in my dining room!
Maybe I need to keep looking and when I find a tables set, paint it myself, hmmm?
I have saved your pictures to my PC, for inspiration--was that bad?
Anyway, I just love it!
Blessings to you as you make your home!

Chubby N Chieque said...

Amazing make over. You are good.

Happy week-end.

brandon said...

Hello sweet Christa - I'm a new follower of yours via The Inspired Room! Thank you for sharing this beautiful dining room set makeover. I love the way you aged the table. So fabulous.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

What a great redo on the table and chairs. I would have no where to store something that big to buy, redo and resell it! You did a fantastic job, I'm sure it will sell fast.

Decorchick! said...

This is beautiful!! If I needed a table I would definitely buy it. Great job! Visiting from Chic on a Shoestring. :)

Jess said...

That turned out so great! Don't you just love craigslist? Thanks for linking up today!

Dee@FrenchBleuVintage said...

Why is it going away ? What a great job you did - especially on the chairs. Love it !!!

Vintagesouthernlife said...

You did a great job!

AutumnBrooke said...

That is beautiful!! Great job!

Autumn
TheFickleHobbyist.com

Susan said...

I think you did well choosing the black and cream !!

Patti said...

I have never heard of milk paint...and I just bought a table to paint...exactly what am I asking for when I go to the paint store? I like the color of yours so I think i would like to buy the exact same paint...thanks, patti

Julie @ Frugal and Fabulous Design said...

Wow...I'm crazy about this set. Love the lines, and I really like the antique finish. Beautiful!

Thank you for linking up to Fab Friday!

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Patti,

I just posted about it in detail for you. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Christa

Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! said...

I love that you painted the table a different color from the chairs but still kept the set neutral in color. That one should fly out the door! Thanks for sharing it on Modern Craftswoman Monday! Rory

Julie @ Frugal and Fabulous Design said...

Hi Christa -

I featured your project on my Fab Friday Favorites today. Grab my "I've been featured button" if you want.

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Thanks so much, Julie! I grabbed your button.

Amanda@The Hand Me Down House said...

Just saw this on Better After -- and it is A-MAZING!! You did such a wonderful job! Actually all your furniture is amazing!!

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

I saw this post featured on Better After and had to visit. Really beautiful... love the contrast of the pieces and the beautiful damask fabric.

Jamielyn@Iheartnaptime said...

This is a GREAT makeover!!

♥ Ella Minnow Pea Boutique said...

I really really love this and I have a table that I want to do this to. Can you share what type of paint you used? I would greatly appreciate it, it's truly lovely :)

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Blueberry Lane, I used General Finishes Antique White Milk Paint for the table. I distressed it here and there, then applied a topcoat of Stays Clear in satin which is a Ben Moore product. The glaze won't move over the milk paint alone. because it's very dry. See one of my other postings on milk paint. The chairs I used an oil-based black, but wouldn't recommend that. The Lamp Black Milk Paint is a good one, or Ben Moore Ironclad in Black, or Behr Paint and Primer in their blackest black. I applied about 7 or 8 topcoats to the table, and after it cured for a week, I wet sanded it with wet-dry sandpaper from automotive stores (600 grit, then 800, and I think I also went up to 1000, i don't remember). Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful. What kind of brush/roller do you use for your furniture? I tried to use a roller foam brush on my dresser but the roller marks show. I probably using it incorrectly or maybe sanding it afterwards will help. I haven't sanded it after painting.

Joy McReynolds

Post a Comment