Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cedar Chest Makeover

I just made over this cedar chest for a friend as a housewarming gift. It's a family heirloom and she wanted to update the look of it for her daughter's room.
This is how it looked before (I quick, grabbed my camera after I had already started stripping it)...
Now it looks like this:
(Yes, I know the lighting is bad.)
Here is a more accurate picture of the color of the top.
In a nutshell, I stripped off the old paint, stained the top in ebony, top coated it with polyacrylic (which I've since stopped using for wood stains; I've found something I personally like better) & then finishing paste wax; repainted the base cottage white, distressed the edges, and antiqued it with brown glaze. Kevin repaired the broken hinges and now I think this family heirloom is amazing, and will look great in Savannah's room.

1 comment:

Karen Jeffries said...

What a difference after a little stripping of old paint. Wish I'd kept my Mother's old cedar chest now!

Post a Comment