Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Dresser advice?

I'm stuck. 
Remember this dresser?



Well I thought it was so fanciful that it needed to be in a little girls' room, and what better combination than pink, cream, and silver like I did on this dresser.



Here it is, unfinished. I'm not inspired to finish it because it's doing nothing for me other than giving me a craving for frosted circus animal cookies. The pink and silver just aren't jiving with the undertones in the cream. It may be a little too much since there is already so much going on in the detail work. I have to paint over the pink anyway because there is a glazing issue due to the fact that I touched up the sprayed on paint with a brush in a few spots, and it affects how the glaze takes differently. 

So, what do you think would look better:
Paint it back to the original cream or in a little whiter white?
Then should I just glaze it, or accentuate the pretty details with silver leaf or another color?
Do you have another idea?

I'm off to the chiropractor to find out what the xray said about my back.
I'm looking forward to coming home and reading your responses.
Thank you, friends!

22 comments:

Mrs T said...

oh I could see that piece in all silver with some darker glazing

driftwoodesign said...

It's a beautiful piece!
Catherine at Freddy and Petunia does some nice childrens furniture finishes. Maybe an idea can be found there: http://freddyandpetunia.wordpress.com/author/freddyandpetunia/
I personally would paint it light dove grey, paint all the embellishments in white and add silver drop pulls.
Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

driftwoodesign said...

Which I just checked to see you have already done.

Kathy@mishmashmom said...

mmm....frosted animal cookies! I vote back to all cream or white with a dark stain. Good luck!

Phredfamily said...

What about it going back to cream and putting pink on the raised parts? Sorta reverse of what's typical.
Kate @ welcomedtempest.blogspot.com

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

ok, i have a different idea..... i love the silver on it, but i think i would do a soft gray where the pink is right now- something muted like a french gray. it is so pretty and i love the silver bringing out the details!

Emily @ RemarkableHome said...

Christa,
Whatever you do will be fabulous! It always is! Cream with silver accents or pink accents could be nice. I am sure you will have an awesome idea come to you!

I'm just starting up a new blog. Would love for you to stop by in the next few days. I only have one post so far but am hoping to get some more things up in the next couple days.

I need to tell you again how much I adore your work. I comment with a different email address now but you and I discussed the hand rubbed finish via email! Anyway, have a great day and I can't wait to see the dresser finished. It is an amazing piece!
Emily
www.remarkable-home.blogspot.com

Pine Tree Home said...

sometimes you just have to try it, no? I like the cream with glaze or stain accents.

Cherie said...

yummy iced animal crackers! I would love to see it in a soft gray with a dark top and of course some distressing.

-Kasey said...

How about paint some frosted inspired animal cookies on it? ha!

I would paint the whole thing pink... but leave the bottom part with the silver. For some reason my eye keeps getting drawn to all the detail at the very bottom. The silver on the main front isn't doing anything for me either, just the very bottom. Maybe balance it out with some nice silver knobs for the drawers?

Michelle said...

Hmm, my comment was deleted. Oh well. Good luck to ya!

foxxy said...

I like the idea you were going for but I do think it is a bit much and makes the dresser look too busy. The first picture is much more serene and pleasing to the eye. One classic color would suit the dresser better. Good luck!

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

Oh my goodness~ it looks like you already put so much time into it, I would just leave it! (but I know you won't :) Can't wait to see what you do!

Hope you find out something helpful from the xrays!

Nanci said...

I agree that it's a bit too much for the detail of the dresser...in fact it almost is distracting from the detail and doesn't let it stand on it's own. I would go back to the white/glazed or a light silver/gray/ glazed and make it more elegant which also would give you a bigger audience to buy it as well as make it more transitional to many spaces rather than just a girls room. IT's a lovely piece.

Irene Robertson said...

I'm thinking brown and creamy pink, with white accents. Imagine that for a moment. Oooh, so pretty.

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

From the pic, it looks like the pink is making the cream take on a greyish cast. I like the idea of painting the whole thing cream or a white and applying silver leaf (or other metallic paint)over the accent trim and lightly glazing the architecture. If leafing all the accent trim seems like it may be too busy, you could apply the silver leaf over all the accent trim EXCEPT the rope-looking trim that goes around the two drawers... that would simplify the look. It is a beautiful dresser and I can't wait to see you do your magic. :)

Hope the chiropractor appointment goes well.

Lori

Traci said...

I love the way the paints bring out the detail. At least in the pictures the white looks like it is leaning towards gray. How about a grayish blue instead of the pink?
Can't wait to see the finished product.
I hope your back is better very soon.
Traci

Beth said...

Maybe because spring is here, but a light/warm yellow sounds fun to me!

Kacey said...

I like the idea of incorporating some gray. You could always set it aside for a bit until something really clicks...

Hope the chiropractor helped!

Cranes for Katy said...

I know it's an investment,but what about using the chalk paint miss mustard seed used on her last 5 pieces? They are lovely! Otherwise, I like the white with glaze:)
Krista

Kristine at The Painted Hive said...

It's got gorgeous detail. If the top has nice timber how about stripping it back and painting just the base? I would opt for quite a creamy white then glaze it dark brown for a vintage feel. Or you could go all contemporary on it and opt for a glossy sunny yellow or kelly green 'pop' with white hardware. Whatever you end up doing I'm sure it will look fab.

Kellie said...

Okay, please don't ban me from your blog after reading my idea. I saw a dresser in a magazine yesterday and it totally made me think of you. The outside was nicely finished, which, by the way, I love the gray ideas posted above by other readers......and it looked so elegant and classic. Then you opened the drawer and....WOW...the inside drawers were painted a bright color. (the mag's was orange and i was thinking a mustardy yellow if you went with the gray and silver exterior).....I know it sounds crazy but it was sooooooo beautiful!!! I wish i could remember where I saw it so I could find a picture...okay....I'm done. And I still love your blog.....please don't kick me off! ;)

Post a Comment