Friday, March 4, 2011

" The Ann Marie Sideboard "

I owe this find to the adorable Ann Marie from Twice Lovely
(who has the cutest baby bump going on, by the way).
I get so excited when I get an email from her with "CL alert!" in the subject line.
She lives not quite 2 hours from me, and when she sees something good in my area she always tell me about it.
We had the opportunity to meet several months ago at a Vintage Market hosted by the wonderful Tara from Junk Restore, and we're going to be doing it again at the end of March.
Details are here.

I picked up this buffet that she alerted me to which looked Circa 1920's - 1930's ?
It had been sitting outside, and the old varnish was wrinkling.
I love these old pieces, but they usually have quite a few extra hours of prep involved.

Of course the lifting varnish needed to be removed so that the new paint would adhere
(I usually use razor blades if it's already flaking off).

Here is what the old top looked like:


And after it was refinished. I LOVE these old walnut (?) tops.
I need to study up on these antiques because I'm obsessed with them.

I chose a frenchy blue-gray (SW Respite along with SW Creamy). I picture it in a home with a very traditional, romantic style. It's been distressed and heavily aged.


The original antiqued brass hardware didn't quite go with the new color palette so I first sprayed them with satin nickel, then antiqued them with some Minwax dark walnut for patina, and sealed them with a spray matte sealer.
Then the drawers were lined with this pretty floral black and white fabric.

I staged it with this tiered plate stand that my mom-in-law gave me. The top plate is from Kevin's great Grandmother on his Mom's side, the middle plate is from Kevin's Father's Mother, and the bottom plate is Kevin's Mom's. Isn't that a special gift?

...and of course, I love detail shots :) ....



CL sales have been sloooooow recently, so I will be bringing all remaining inventory to the Vintage Market at the Simple Farm March 31-April 2. Maybe I will see some of you there!

Sharing this at:
Furniture Feature Fridays Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special





30 comments:

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

My Gosh Christa!!! This is STUNNING!! Love your paint choices and treatments!

Gorgeous!!

Lou Cinda

Pam said...

That walnut top is GORGEOUS! OMG you did a fabulous job on this piece!

Pam

Gloria Fox @ Potentially Beautiful said...

Pam took the words right out of my mouth. Great job and love the colors.

Julie said...

I'm not an expert at all -- but I don't think that piece is from the 20s. I think it's older than that.

SueAnn said...

Oh my!! This is gorgeous! I love the color!!
Well done!
Hugs
SueAnn

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

take my breath away, christa!!! that is simply stunning!!!
off to have some vino with the 'rents.... maybe drink enough to moon my neighbors, who knows? have a good night! ;)

European Paint Finishes said...

Ooh La LAAAAA!!!! She's a beauty! I too love finding the antique pieces- especially the sideboards and dressers. These are what Mike really enjoys working on from start to finish. Nicely done!

Jeanie said...

That is fabulous - you totally gave it new life. Nice job; thanks for sharing. Wish I lived in Arizona.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Wow Christa! That is absolutely gorgeous! I love the color combination and the beautiful walnut top and the pulls and the details, well I just love it all!

Allison said...

That is gorgeous, Christa! You did an amazing job! What a sweet gift from your mother-in-law and so special and sentimental. Have a good weekend.

Irene Robertson said...

So beautiful! It very unique compared to a love of redos I've been seeing.

Kelley - a very JunqueyGal! said...

Oh man... I'm itching to paint something. Fabulous!!!

driftwoodesign said...

I love it. I have those drop pulls on a personal piece of mine, they are going to get a paint job. Absolutley stunning job you did, I'm adding to the idea folder.
Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD
http://4theloveofwood.blogspot.com/

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

It looks amazing, Christa! I love how you use two colors of paint~ very unique!

Kacey said...

Gorgeous piece! Love the color combination.

Phredfamily said...

Love the colors and how you use the two. So unique. My jaw litteraly dropped when I saw the top re-done. Great work!
Kate @ welcomedtempest.blogspot.com

Sausha @ {show and tell} said...

i almost always see these pieces in white or black - so i am loving that you made it unique and added in some color. Very pretty, and i love the distressing, you know that i like that chippy look :)

Maureen said...

You did a fabulous job! It looks gorgeous.

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

BTW, has anyone ever mentioned that at least from your little pics you and Ann Marie look a bit similar? :)

Lylah Ledner said...

Hi Christa....I'm Lylah - farmer and owner (with my husband) of The Simple Farm (www.thesimplefarmmarketgarden.com).....thought I'd stop on over and say hell....and welcome you to our vintage barn sale the end of the month.

Michael and I are quite excited for this farm event! Can't wait to meet you.

BTW....I'm borrowing a few of your blog pictures of items you've done - along with other vendors - to post it on a blog that I'm doing!

Great stuff! xoxo lylah

Lauren @ 31diy said...

Wow, this is gorgeous! I've been drooling over the thought of owning a sideboard lately. I've looked through Craigslist and thrift stores, and haven't had any luck yet. Love yours! The makeover you gave it is fabulous!

CalypsoInTheCountry said...

Wow! You really have some amazing projects on your blog! You have inspired me to do some thrift store shopping!

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

What a fantastic job... the finish is spectacular. I love your color choices and the stained top is beautiful. Well done!

Terry said...

I agree, it's stunning...I would love to have it!

Kimberlea@SaVvyDeCor said...

Such a beautiful piece! I would throw out furniture to find a spot for this one!

Kellie said...

I am in love!!

Erin said...

This sideboard is absolutely gorgeous! I found your blog at Between Naps on the Front Porch. You have such great ideas and I'm your newest follower! I'd love it if you'd follow me back: http://stillwaterstory.blogspot.com/
Again, you did a fantastic job with this!! :-)

Chrissie said...

Oh my word Christa! I missed this amazing piece, I saw it on your For sale blog and had to come take a look. I think this is my favorite piece you have done!Drop dead gorgeous!!!!

Kerrie Lightfoot said...

Love this piece and love the colors. So glad I found your blog.

Cheryl Carvery-Jones said...

If you didn't like the Kilz primer, what kind of primer would you recommend. PS: Your pieces are beautiful!

Post a Comment