Tuesday, February 8, 2011

May Day, May Day...

(Question at the end.)
You just never know what twists and turns life will bring, do you?
I had an unexpected call from my sister yesterday about her living situation.
To make a long story short, she and her roommate, who were renting, got evicted because their landlord failed to make payments on their house for over a year (yet they still took their rent), and they were foreclosed on at a moment's notice.
There was little time to find another rental, as good rentals are hard to come by in AZ.

I love my sister more than anything, and our girls absolutely adore her. 
We welcomed her with open arms to come and live with us for as long as she needs to. 
The obvious place for her to stay is our playroom, which has a bathroom attached, so it's really a guest bedroom. The occasional stray piece of furniture or two may have found its' way in there now and then, but it has mostly served as a playroom since we moved here.

Here is what it looked like just a few hours ago:
It's brought us a lot of happiness for the last 5 years. The beach theme has run its' course, and we've wanted to eventually turn it into a older kids playroom/workout  room.  
My sis moving in is our motivation to finally make some changes in here.

Here it is almost all cleared out:

And now my question. 

I'd like to put up some sort of wall treatment, because I'm lazy and don't want to completely remove every piece of wallpaper backing.  I have seen someone use some sort of flexible sheet over the drywall to mimic wood which is glueable, which you then apply board and batten over. Does anyone know what in the world it is and where I can buy it, or did I just dream about it and it doesn't really exist? 
Any other ideas?
 I really don't want to have to remove all that backing.
(But if you live here and would do it for me, I'll refinish a piece of furniture for ya.)

11 comments:

Chrissie said...

How terrible for your sister. She is a lucky girl to have a sister like you!

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

I've heard of this situation happening. So terrible for your sister, but she's blessed to have you. What about beadboard wall paper? Just a thought.

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

Unbelievable! :( She sounds like she'll be alot of fun to have around the house, though! The wallpaper beadboard was all I could think of, too!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Do you mean luan? It's very thin and smooth, but I don't know how flexible it is. So maybe that's not it.

That's so maddening that they took the rent, but didn't make the payments.

Kami said...

Where did you get that cute little table and chairs?? I love them!

Patrice said...

Hey Christa hope this finds you doing well!! I would do some sort of wainscoting/beadboard treatment. It will solve all of your problems and then you won't have to deal with the wall paper.

Good Luck,

Patrice
p.s. feel the same way about my sister, would take her in in a hot red second, no questions asked - how lucky are we to be able to call our sisters our best friends!!!!

Reenie said...

Have you ever used DIF to take off wallpaper. It works like a charm. It comes in a spray bottle...it's a gel form. Spray it on and let it set 15 minutes and it scrapes right off. Get the good scrapers that have the razor blade on it. I just removed 3 layers of wallpaper with paint over it. Your's looks VERY easy =)

Reenie said...

Beadboard comes in sheets of paneling ~ 8 x 4 for around $20.00 a sheet @ Home Depot.

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

I feel so bad for your sister, but what a lucky girl to have a sis like you. Sorry I can't help you with your question. Not that you asked, but if it were me, I would probably try to remove the current paper... and if I lived closer, I'd come and help you. :) I think removing the paper will make the room appear larger. Anyway, if the walls were sized before the wallpaper was applied, using DIF wall paper remover should work like a charm. When I have used DIF in the past, I have scored the wallpaper to be removed with a TIGER tool (hand held tool with rolling teeth). That helps get the product to the adhesive part of the wallpaper for easier removal. Use of a good scraper helps too. Good luck with whatever you do.

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i don't have any answers, but i wanted to say that i am so happy your sister has you.

Erika Joy said...

I am a lucky girl and so blessed! I am so excited to move in and I foresee a lot of late night chats, pj's and snuggle time together! xo

Post a Comment