Monday, April 4, 2011

Changes

So do you remember this playroom?

 

We converted it to a guest room for my sister. We didn't know how long her stay would be, but she was welcome here as long as she needed, and I wanted her room to be pretty and cozy. I sifted through, donated, and relocated the toys, and my sweet friend Karen helped me for hours removing the wallpaper:

The room went from this:
 

To this
(That's my little shadow in the doorway):
 

And this:

 

To this:

But now it looks like this:
We miss Erika so much, but she had a roommate offer she couldn't refuse. The girls loved helping her choose her jewelry and shoes every morning before work. I already miss our talks over red and snuggling up to our favorite shows in her room. Now we are in the process of making this space a game and exercise room. That is the $25 treadmill I found at a garage sale, and the bike I've had for 12 years that I still love. I'll be searching CL for a dresser that I can refinish for under the t.v., and a used couch that I may need to tackle the art of slipcovering for (after learning a custom slipcover is $800). More later :) Love you sis...

12 comments:

nightowl_72 said...

Wow. I am in awe of your ability to change things so quickly. I would have difficulty (mentally) accepting that I needed to change it again! It's great that you could accomodate your sister so beautifully and then move on to what your family needs. I admire you!

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Nightowl,
Trust me - change is HARD for me. I just try to put on a brave face and keep going :)

Fiona said...

Christa - what a beautiful job you did for your sister! Looking forward to seeing what you do to the room now.
cheers Fiona
http://lilyfieldlife.blogspot.com/

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

ah, i am so bummed for you. i am sure it was awesome having your sister there. an exercise room will be awesome though! and very convenient! i don't have much motivation for exercise when i am home- i am better off getting in my car and going to the gym. :)

marie said...

It's beautiful!

dusty gem decor said...

Hi! This is Jake from Restoration Furniture, now Dusty Gem Decor. I want to let our followers know that in order to make things easier, we brothers have decided to have two seperate websites. Restoration Furniture will be doing summer sales and will try to continue to post items for sale as well as provide custom refinishing for customers. Dusty Gem Decor is based on the same principles as Restoration Furniture. They too will post items for sale and offer refinishing for customers. Become a follower and have a chance to win a prize in our next give away. Tell your friends. Thanks!

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

What a neat time you and your girls got to have with your sister! I'll bet it does feel a bit empty around there, though.

SueAnn said...

The room you made up for your sister was awesome and I am so glad you had those special times together. What a beautiful room!
And now it is going to be a terrific exercise/tv room and that is wonderful!!!
Love it!
And I got an awesome slipcover from JC Penney for $80.00. Linen too!!! It fits my couch perfectly. Now I have a new couch for $80.00!! Woot!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Pati said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL ! ! ! ! Can't wait to see how the game/exercise room turns out!

Ramblings of a Photo Girl said...

OMG! You made me cry! I am sitting here at work reading this and tears are streaming. The past month and a half were some of the greatest memories and I will forever cherish them. You are the best sister and host a girl could ever ask for. There is so much I will miss and it has been hard on me, too. I miss drinking wine and watching The Housewives, waking up and drinking coffee and having the girly girlz come in every morning to greet me with hugs and chats. Those were some of the best days of my life and I will never, ever forget them. Thank you again for everything. I am a blessed woman!

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

Wow, that room has gone through some changes recently! I absolutely love what you have done with it, especially the wall color. Wall color aside, you have done a great job in regard to your most recent conversion goal in that you have fufilled the most basic requirement of a successful exercise/game room... having a BIG TV in the space. :)

Melissa at HOUSEography said...

What a beautiful room! Sad to see her go but I am sure you are proud too!

Post a Comment