
Craig sold it to me for $40. It needed a some repairs, but considering the price, it was worth it, because all the drawers worked perfectly. I did strip the top because it was very textured and had a thick layer of laquer. It sanded pretty smooth. It required a lot of wood filling, too. Hey, no sweat!
It has the original stamp of Huntley Furniture (early 1900's? Anyway, it's old.)
I wanted to try out metallic paint. Isn't it pretty?
I wanted to try out metallic paint. Isn't it pretty?I painted the main desk in a silver metallic, then rubbed through here and there with steel wool. The drawers were painted a creamy white and I lightly distressed the edges with a razor blade (which I prefer to sandpaper because it's quicker). The hardware was sprayed with Rustoleum's Satin Nickel and then rubbed through for a distressed look. After topcoating it (3 coats on the top), I let it sit for a few days then wet-sanded it with soapy water, drying it off immediately as I went for a smoother feel. The slurry left behind can be removed with a fresh cloth and window cleaner.
I think next time I use silver metallic I might try some rub 'n buff to add a nice patina. I have an armoire in the garage that I might do that to next.
Primer: Zinsser spray-on. Easy.
Base: Ralph Lauren Ambassador Sterling Metallic Paint, applied with a brush, then smoothed with a foam roller.
Base: Ralph Lauren Ambassador Sterling Metallic Paint, applied with a brush, then smoothed with a foam roller.
Drawers: Behr Paint and Primer in Cottage White (semi-gloss), applied with foam roller.
Topcoat: Minwax Polycrylic, applied with a brush, then smoothed with a foam roller.
Hardware: Rustoleum Satin Nickle, rubbed through with #1 and super fine steel wool.
Inside Drawers (not pictured): Rustoleum Satin Nickle; sprayed before painting drawer fronts.
Tools: 220 grit sandpaper and electric sander, TSP, foam rollers, paint brush, razor blade, #1 and 0000 steel wool, 600 grit wet-dry sandpaper sold at automotive stores.























30 comments:
Oh my goodness -- I used to have that exact desk as a child!! It was part of my mother's antique bedroom set. Wonder what ever happened to it?
In any case, your metallic version is awesome! Thanks for sharing!
It looks so pretty!
I'm going to have to try the razor blade thing.
It looks wonderful. Some of the pictures look like it is satin paint and others show a more metallic finish. In real life which picture does the finish resemble? I just saw a silver leafed desk I want to copy. Is silver going to be the new black?
Thanks for sharing.
Traci
It's really nice! Visiting from funky junk :)
That is NICE! Your distressing of the piece is really good... just enough in the right areas and the right technique to give it an authentically distressed look. I cringe at pictures of the first piece I distressed...over-distressed to the point of being cheesy. Thanks for sharing the colors and for visiting my blog.
So beautiful! What a fabulous piece, are you keeping or selling? Found you from Funky Junk!
This turned out BEAUTIFUL!! I'd love for you to link this up at sundae scoop http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/
This looks awesome, you did such a great job! Hope you have a great week! ~Andrea
http://www.andreasattic-andrea.blogspot.com
Wow! This piece looks amazing now!
-Rene
Beautiful, beautiful result!
Wow, wow, wow!
Really pretty! great find!!
This is simply gorgeous. What a fabulous transformation. {love} Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly apprecite it. Hope you are enjoying your week. ~ Stephanie Lynn
Hi Christa, Just wanted to let you know I'll be featuring your desk today! Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase Party! ~ Stephanie Lynn
Its lovely! $40 was a great price too. I have some similar style end tables that I just might dare to paint now!
Kathy
holy holy holy CRAP. i am coveting this piece of furniture SO BAD it's not even funny. WOW. i think i'm in love!!
This is so beautiful, you did a wonderful job!
that turned out beautifully! i am always afraid to paint silver, but after seeing this i may try it soon!
Oh it looks exquisite. I havn't used silver, but this really gets me in the mood. Love it. Hugs, Marty
I am smitten over this desk! Thanks for sharing!
Great job! congratulation!
Absolutely stunning & a steal at $40! I'm featuring it at the PoPP Spotlight on Saturday.
Drooling over the curved drawers!!!
xoxo,
Cat @ BudgetBlonde.com
I love what you did! Plus I love the lines of the desk! I have been wanting to paint with Metallic paint, I will be refering to you when I finally get the chance.
Ok so I have been dreaming about all of your pieces..I am a new follower. But I have a question. What exactly is wet sanding?
I never would have tried metallic paint! It was a brilliant choice. I love how it turned out!
Katie, I wet sand all my furniture for that silky soft, hand-rubbed finish. You have to have plenty of topcoat built up. I only work with Ben Moore Stays Clear Acrylic Poly in satin finish. It doesn't yellow and is made for wood floors so its tough stuff. I build up about 7-8 coats in a 2 day period, not worrying about lap lines or brush strokes. Let it cure for a week, then with soapy water and wet-dry sandpaper from automotive stores wrapped around a soft sanding block I start with 600 and work my way through 800, 1000, and even more depending on the sheen I want.
It's gorgeous! I really love the pop of the metallic paint.
I've never tried wet sanding. I'm going to have to look into it...
Wow! this is one classy redo! i think that the colours here suit the style of this furniture perfectly
I have wanted to do this type of makeover for so long... you have completely inspired me !! Thanks so much ... there is a dresser in my room, just dying for some glam :-)
great job !
Post a Comment